Home » Audio » Speaker » Array with single speaker type?
Array with single speaker type? [message #23986] Thu, 18 October 2007 23:30 Go to next message
granch is currently offline  granch
Viscount
Dumb question: Suppose one were to make an array using only Altec 755A speakers? Wildly expensive ($500 each?) but suppose one did. Would it work or would the spacing between centers of the cones ruin the effect. I know the near field of the speaker was marvelous and it had wide dispersion. It also was intended for minimum baffle volume
-Dick

Re: Array with single speaker type? [message #23987 is a reply to message #23986] Fri, 19 October 2007 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greggo is currently offline  Greggo
Baron
Would not work very well beyond 2kHz as your center to center distance between drivers at that frequency (just a guess, I didn't do the math)would create lobing problems and combing artifacts.

The full-range and wide-range driver questions come up fairly often, the answer is the same to all of them. C-T-C spacing versus frequency cut off is the same regardless of driver, though you can cheat a little more with spacing between ribbon/planar tweeters as most are much more limited in their vertical axis dispersion as compared to domes...

Greggo

Re: Array with single speaker type? [message #23993 is a reply to message #23987] Sat, 20 October 2007 20:36 Go to previous message
granch is currently offline  granch
Viscount
I was afraid you were going to say that, sniffle, sob.
-Dick

Previous Topic: Fav cheap speakers?
Next Topic: Tower speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 19:10:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers