Home » Audio » Speaker » DCX crossover installed
DCX crossover installed [message #23833] Tue, 26 June 2007 04:13 Go to next message
jphaggar is currently offline  jphaggar
Baron
It's been 2 days I have my RS 8 arrays playing through the DCX 2496
using the subs bash amps , the Dussun V8 for the mids and the Sim W5 for the highs. It's a good feeling to be able to play with the xover slopes an have the instant effects while listening ! I need to get accustomed to the new setup and the multiple possibilities that doesn't make things really easy . Any practical recommendations would certainly be welcome .
JP

Re: DCX crossover installed [message #23834 is a reply to message #23833] Tue, 26 June 2007 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You don't sound terribly encouraged....

Re: DCX crossover installed [message #23836 is a reply to message #23834] Wed, 27 June 2007 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
To tell you the truth, I did not put enought time to it I need a few more days when I'' be back from vacation.
My first trials tell me that the original sound caracter of the speakers cannot be dramatically improved , it all depends on the drivers chosen . There is a part of the midrange specially with human voices that needs correction , I may be needing a Equalizer like the behringer DEQ 2496 , but I give myself some more days of trial first . But the real question is : Is it worth building arrays considering all the complexity of the project ? can't we obtain much more refined speakers using much better components using a 3 way config and a much easier to deal with project . Not to mention the weight a difficulty it implicate each time you want to move them or whatever ? Then if you want to sell them !!!!! your scope of clients is so much reduced !!
I am not saying I did not have fun building this project this was a relatively easy task because I am a furniture manufacturer , but I just imagine how difficult it is for an amateur to do it on his own !!
Now that I am in it I am decided to try everything possible to make this project a success ( hopefully).

Re: DCX crossover installed [message #23837 is a reply to message #23836] Wed, 27 June 2007 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, obviously I disagree that you can build a conventional system with the same sound presence, low distortion, and dynamic range as you can for a line array.

Some line array designs are better than others. I personally believe that my own design is head an shoulders above many others including the commercial ones.

I have an equalizer, but I don't use it. Both my tweeter and woofer array amps have individual volume controls which allows me to modify the system without resorting to phase whacking equalization.

Sorry your system doesn't meet your needs.

Marlboro

Re: DCX crossover installed [message #23838 is a reply to message #23833] Wed, 27 June 2007 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Post pics of your speaker. Link the drivers you used and amps.

Maybe we can figure out a crossover scheme for those drivers.

DCX has delays, I use a delay on one channel, 15mS to give
me depth.

DCX has PEQ, no need for another seperate EQ. You can EQ any input
and output.

DCX has presets to store your special settings and you can recall
them instantly.

Re: DCX crossover installed [message #23842 is a reply to message #23836] Sun, 01 July 2007 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
Hi Jp,

What drivers are you using? Any pics? The cabs must be very good looking since you know woodworking.

---------------------------------

When I first hooked up my DEX2496 I noticed a new clarity just by having the steep slopes on each driver. The opamps used in the xover are not very clean. So I took the dex out and went passive again.

Reciently I put the LM4562 opamp in the output board and removed the other opamps in the signal path. The improvement is very large.

The second way to get a good sound out of the DEX2496 is to send a digital signal into it. I have the SRC2496 feeding the DEX2496.

The third way is to keep the output level of the DCX high and use a preamp to limit the volume.

--------------------------

For normal listening levels a low priced driver in a line array (8 per side) will be used with very low wattages. 6.25 watts in 8 drivers will replace 50 watts in one driver. The cone sound color (resonance) will still be there, but since the excursion is so low, the driver will sound very clean. The voice coil will stay in the gap. The suspension will stay very linear. The air when compressed distorts some. This effect is also reduced by having more cone area. The expensive drivers place a large amt of the construction cost in a suspension and magnet that stay linear at higher wattages.

My first array was with the $.98 NSB drivers.

--------------------------

-Linc

Re: DCX crossover installed [message #23843 is a reply to message #23837] Mon, 02 July 2007 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I expect that Minor changes would do the job but unfortunately it seems I cannot put my finger on the problem . I keep trying .Maybe I should use an test mic with an RTA to pinpoint the problematic frequencies , I still have to learn about testing , wich makes things a bit slower for me . Is there a simplistic testing method ?
JP

Re: DCX crossover installed [message #23844 is a reply to message #23842] Mon, 02 July 2007 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Pictures of my arrays are here :

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/jphaggar/Line%20Array%20RS%208%20before/DSC00556.jpg

drivers are Dayton RS180 and Fountek Neo 2
JP

Re: DCX crossover installed [message #23845 is a reply to message #23844] Tue, 03 July 2007 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
The cabs look great. You have almost the exact speaker that I have. The tweeters are the same. The box looks basically the same. I have the silver flute woofers. I ended placing some silicone on the dust caps to eliminate some of the resonance.

What are the settings on the behringer xover. Did you make a baffle step compensation? What are the xover points?

-Linc

Re: DCX crossover installed [message #23846 is a reply to message #23845] Tue, 03 July 2007 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
xover points are 80HZ to the subs that are not visible on this picture , 2000HZ LR 24db slope , no baffle step comp for the moment .Any suggestions ?

Previous Topic: JBL 2225H reconed as a 2235H?
Next Topic: JBL G-730 Diaphragm quest
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 06:56:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout