Home » Audio » Speaker » Rane, Behringer and the 400 5.6
Rane, Behringer and the 400 5.6 [message #23494] Tue, 27 February 2007 08:27 Go to next message
Ivor the Engine Driver is currently offline  Ivor the Engine Driver
Chancellor
I have a chance to get a barely used Rane XO at a righteous price, so I'm thinking of also getting a Rane equalizer and comparing the setup to my Behringer gear. But I've also found that trying to handhold my 500 f4 to get bird flight shots quickly sends my flabby arms into lactic acid overdose, so I'd also like to buy the much lighter 400 5.6. The problem is I don't have the money to do both. So, I'm asking:

Can I expect a worthwhile improvement by switching from Behringer to Rane electronics?

Thanks in advance for any pertinent responses.

Re: Rane, Behringer and the 400 5.6 [message #23495 is a reply to message #23494] Tue, 27 February 2007 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
>>Can I expect a worthwhile improvement by switching from
>>Behringer to Rane electronics?

I haven't seen any conclusive data that moving from Behringer
to other products will guarantee an improvement in sound.

When you spend more money on any audio upgrades, from any
manufacturer, it always sounds better, .... lol .....

There are really good Behringer products and not so good products,
judge the specific product not the brand name. Some of their
electronics have a proven track record on sounding neutral, but
you will get people to disagree... lol

If you look at some of the Rane product, they may use the same
opamps as the Behringer product, yet the brand naming placebo
effect causes people to like Rane better, lol.

I've notice in the DIY electronics world, even a neutral sounding
Behringer product generates excitement from the mod community as
they look at the schematics and feel the strong desire to modify it
to improve the sound. What do you think happens after they mod
the gear ? Of course their mod is way better in sound, everyone
who designs their owns electronics will claim their design is
leaps above any other design, lol ......

Conclusion. Identify a sonic problem first, then try to fix it.
If the fix is to replace the unit, then try a different brand. Don't
fix it if it ain't broke.

Re: Rane, Behringer and the 400 5.6 [message #23496 is a reply to message #23495] Tue, 27 February 2007 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivor the Engine Driver is currently offline  Ivor the Engine Driver
Chancellor
Conclusion. Identify a sonic problem first, then try to fix it.
If the fix is to replace the unit, then try a different brand. Don't
fix it if it ain't broke.

Excellent advice. And since the only problem I've identified in this particular instance is the inability to lift my arms above my shoulders after a morning of humping around the 500, I ordered a 400 from KEH.

Crossovers and equalizers but not camera lenses [message #23497 is a reply to message #23494] Tue, 27 February 2007 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Which Rane Crossover are you talking about? Probably you are talking about the analog models since digital one is $800. I have a 3way with sound delay circuit.

As to the equalizer, at the risk of appearing knowledgeable, don't get one that isn't at least constant Q. Also its worthwhile getting the 1/3 octave model, but I have a 2/3 octave which works very well. Mine is DOD Constant Q.

What does buying a big lens have to do with an equalizer and a crossover?

Marlboro

Re: Rane, Behringer and the 400 5.6 [message #23507 is a reply to message #23495] Sun, 04 March 2007 03:07 Go to previous message
SnakeFingers is currently offline  SnakeFingers
Esquire
Actually, good advice as far as it goes.

There's some truth and wisdom in this advice, but it leaves out a critical test: side by side, A-B comparisons. Even when two devices share the same IC's, the support circuitry can be different enough to make an audible difference.

Take a friend to the store with you, let him or her run the test, you keep back far enough so you can't see which unit you're listening to. Keep everything else the same for each listen, the only thing that should change is the device you're auditioning.

This will tell you which one sounds better. If it's a wash, then it doesn't matter which brand you use. If you can hear a difference, go with the one that sounds best to you. Sometimes it may the less expensive unit. Go with your ears, but you gotta listen and compare.

Previous Topic: What's Vintage Sound?
Next Topic: anyone tried equidistant spacing?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:52:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio