Home » Audio » Speaker » beautiful speakers.
beautiful speakers. [message #23027] Fri, 23 June 2006 20:21 Go to next message
mr hayes is currently offline  mr hayes
Chancellor
Hello: They look like a lot like the McIntosh x-28, but have a new ribbon technology according to them.
TransmisiĆ³n Audio
M3 Pro
Comprising an extremely powerful 10-woofers-in-line reflex loaded column where each woofer has its own port to keep airspeed down and airflow up , the M3 Pro speaker offers not only our Ultra Propulsion ribbon technology, but also a bass capacity only superseded by the M5 and M6. Like its bigger brothers, M3 Pro represents the ultimate in sound reproduction sharing a major feature: a seamless, uninterrupted column-shaped ribbon unit that severely reduces the risks of hearing damages, even at floor- shattering levels.
The line-array of woofers contributes to a much more even dispersion of the low frequencies as compared to a sub-woofer. The woofers are proprietary and custom made to meet our standars. The cabinet is made from highest quality MDF with thickness of more than 40 millimeters. As all woofers are separated internally by bracers giving each wofer its own cavity, this matrix structure results in an enormous physical strength.Each floor represents one compleely sealed module. The bass response has to be heard to be believed. The internal damping and the woofers coupling to the air is so efficient that you will hardly notice the cones movments, unless you play at very high levels. The ribbon line works as a linesource open dipole system meaning a total freedom from boxiness and coloration due to lack of early reflexions. One of the many god things about a line source configuration is its abilty to reach far into the listening environment without significant loss of sound pressure level. Another is the extremely low distortion; less than 0,03% at 96dB SPL.

Re: beautiful speakers. [message #23028 is a reply to message #23027] Sat, 24 June 2006 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master

Thanks for the post.

The Transmission Audio speakers above the M3 series are more aimed at the pro sound market vs. home applications. The M3 Pro (4 module dipolar tweeter ribbons) remind me a little of the Dali Megaline (3 segmented dipolar tweeter array) but bigger. At 600 pounds per side these are serious speakers for sure.

Jim

Re: beautiful speakers. [message #23030 is a reply to message #23028] Sun, 25 June 2006 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greggo is currently offline  Greggo
Baron
This design reminds me of something I have been curious about... I have read Jim's paper many times and feel I have a good handle on the center to center spacing issues of drivers aligned vertically, but what of the difference horizontally? If I used 4" midbass drivers mounted edge to edge and planned a crossover around 3khz to a line of ribbon tweeters, do I pick drivers that can get close enough to follow the same rules as the spacing between themselves top to bottom? I noticed that the Transmission Audio models, and others from other brands I have seen, have a fairly healthy distance between the woofer array and the tweeter array. Are the lobing issues the same as when building a small 2-way monitor, or do the properties of a line array allow you a little more gray area before things get clearly out of whack?

Just wondering...

Greg

Re: beautiful speakers. [message #23031 is a reply to message #23030] Sun, 25 June 2006 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Greg,

That separation worries me a bit as well. My thinking is that I want the aperture to be as coherent as possible which means close together. One way that they handle this separation is to cross between lines lower than you would think which minimizes any issue. Also the crossover can be a fairly high slope so the transition region is minimized.

Finally, the general rule of thumb is to crossover no more than one wavelength center to center horizontal spacing between the two lines.

Jim

Very good, thanks Jim! (nt) [message #23032 is a reply to message #23031] Mon, 26 June 2006 17:03 Go to previous message
Greggo is currently offline  Greggo
Baron
nt - no text...

Previous Topic: foster 100k03
Next Topic: ESG1 Can I use it for an array?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 08:07:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio