Home » Audio » Speaker » Open baffle array wings
Open baffle array wings [message #22545] Fri, 18 March 2005 10:53 Go to next message
G.L. Tirebiter is currently offline  G.L. Tirebiter
Esquire
I've finished cutting the holes at long last for my OB array -- each side will have 32 Dayton 3/4 inch tweets and 12 NSBs open baffle above a sealed 10" Peerless woofer. Everything will be actively equalized.

My question is about wings: exactly what are they and why do I need them?

Active equalization = no wings needed? [message #22546 is a reply to message #22545] Fri, 18 March 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G.L. Tirebiter is currently offline  G.L. Tirebiter
Esquire
Okay, I've done a little more research and think I may have a slight grasp on wing theory. It seems that if I actively equalize the array, I don't really need the wings. Is that correct? I really like the idea of the thin-as-possible-baffle for WAF, so if I don't need the wings I'd be a happier camper.

The array is tri-amped using gainclone amps I built fed by Behringer 3-way x-over and 31-channel/side equalizer.

Re: Open baffle array wings [message #22551 is a reply to message #22545] Wed, 23 March 2005 00:57 Go to previous message
Zene Gillette is currently offline  Zene Gillette
Viscount
Spend a little time with the Edge program. http://www.tolvan.com/edge/ Look at the response curve of your design and see how much eq (that is BOOST ... read, phase shifting, distortion) you need to get the lower cutoff frequency you want. Hint: Try a tapered design, wide at bottom and very narrow at top. Still has "small" look.
BTW, eq is not the answer to audio reproduction. Some cut and damn little boost should be the limit. Zene

Previous Topic: bd's design
Next Topic: As a prem to answer the question of cancelled waves.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:36:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio