Home » Audio » Speaker » Adding Tweeter to Full Range Driver
Adding Tweeter to Full Range Driver [message #21781] Thu, 01 March 2007 19:40 Go to next message
ttan98 is currently offline  ttan98
Baron
I am wondering whether there are any major improvemnets in ths sound quality by adding a tweeter to a full range driver.

An example would be Fostex FE167E, Fostex suggests in their phamplet of adding their own Fostex tweeter. Does this prove benefitial?

I am sure some of you out there have tried this combination. If you have found it to improve the sound quality then let us know what type of tweeter you picked and why.

thanks..

Re: Adding Tweeter to Full Range Driver [message #21782 is a reply to message #21781] Fri, 02 March 2007 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
In my opinion adding a supertweeter can be detrimental if the speaker sounds balanced as is. If you're augmenting with a subwoofer or if the speaker has very good bass but could use a bit more energy on top, then a supertweeter will help.

In any event, a supertweeter will probably improve the detail and sense of speed. In my opinion those characteristics are nice if they don't come at the expense of making the tonal balance seem too lightweight.

I use or have used Fostex FT17H and/or T90A with an equalized FE206E, which was augmented down south by a powered woofer section. Without the augmenting woofer, the equalized FE206E sounds more balanced to my ears without a supertweeter.

Duke

Re: Adding Tweeter to Full Range Driver [message #21783 is a reply to message #21781] Fri, 02 March 2007 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilk is currently offline  Bill Wassilk
Chancellor
I agree with everything Duke said. It's been a while since I've listened to the Fostex Fe167. I forget what model of Fostex's it was, but it was one of the smaller FE series seemed like it started going cone breakup mode, or rolling of between 6k-8k, but people were x-over betweem 8k-10k with just a cap to add the extra high-end extension. Jim Denton or Akhilesh should chime in, they've used Fostex's in the past.
Bill W.

P.S. The Fostex FE206E is one of the smoothest single drivers I've heard.

Dagogo review [message #21784 is a reply to message #21781] Sat, 03 March 2007 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Here's an intersting take on a super tweeter....C

Re: Adding Tweeter to Full Range Driver [message #21786 is a reply to message #21781] Sun, 04 March 2007 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I like using a dome tweeter, for the 8 inch full rangers. One can use ot with the 6 inchers also, if needed. Of course the more you add: sub, supertewweter, caps, inductors, the more you lose that single driver magic, so take each step only if necessary.
-akhilesh

Re: Adding Tweeter to Full Range Driver [message #21787 is a reply to message #21781] Mon, 05 March 2007 15:57 Go to previous message
ttan98 is currently offline  ttan98
Baron
Thanks everyone for the input...

Previous Topic: 1:1 throat area
Next Topic: Crossover Cap Comparison
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:45:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio