Home » Audio » Speaker » Jordan Drivers
Jordan Drivers [message #21643] Fri, 28 July 2006 08:57 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Pete Millet likes his drivers; anyone have any experience with 'em?
I know they are inefficient and small but it looks like many people like the sound very much.

Re: Jordan Drivers [message #21644 is a reply to message #21643] Fri, 28 July 2006 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
I have lots of experience with the Jordan JX92S driver. It is a very nice driver with excellent smoothness and good extension into both bass and treble areas. You say low efficiency but it does have a rated sensitivity of 88 dB SPL 1 w/m. The free air resonance is 45 Hz which is exceptional. The Xmax (one direction) is 4.5 mm while the rated power handling is 50 watts rms or 100 watts music power. The JX92S can be designed into vented, sealed and transmission line enclosures with good success in all boxes.

I've used the JX92S in a vented (or sealed) 0.25 cubic foot box for my mini-monitors. This design has a measured F3 point of 55 Hz which is excellent for such a small driver. In a 48" JX92S MLTL design the F3 bass extends below 40 Hz.

For example, compared to similar size Fostex drivers (I'll use the Fostex FE108E, FE127E and the JX92S in order) in the comparison below.

Bass extension (0.28 mm or 0.67 mm vs. 4.5 mm)
Power power handling (8 w, 15 w, 50 w)
Sensitivity (90 dB, 91 dB, 88 dB SPL 1w/1m)
Smoother frequency response (just look at the manufacturer's curves for an idea)
More adaptibility to various boxes

What is not to like about a driver that can cover a wide range--including bass and treble extension on its own--with excellent response and other factors? The Jordan JX92S kicks the backside of other full range drivers of comparable size.

Jim

Re: Jordan Drivers [message #21646 is a reply to message #21644] Sat, 29 July 2006 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks Jim. I gather you like the sound of the driver over the Fostex units?

Re: Jordan Drivers [message #21647 is a reply to message #21646] Sat, 29 July 2006 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yes. The Jordans sound very nice and I can listen to them for hours.

Many of the Fostex implementations that I have heard sound edgy (likely overdriven) to me. To me the Fostex's typcially low Xmax limit them for rock music and such. Many need a well designed back horn for any hope of success.

Re: Jordan Drivers [message #21650 is a reply to message #21647] Sun, 30 July 2006 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So you feel that a reflex cab works with the Jordans Then?

Re: Jordan Drivers [message #21651 is a reply to message #21650] Sun, 30 July 2006 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
In my original response to this your opening post I said:

"The JX92S can be designed into vented, sealed and transmission line enclosures with good success in all boxes."

Jim

Re: Jordan Drivers [message #21653 is a reply to message #21651] Sun, 30 July 2006 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Absolutely; Thanks. Lost track there for a second.

Re: Jordan Drivers [message #21659 is a reply to message #21643] Mon, 07 August 2006 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTF is currently offline  GTF
Chancellor
I have a pair of Carolina Audio JSM's which use the Jordan JX92S
driver in a transmision line enclosure.
I also have a pair of Carolina Audio 7S transmission line subs.
To bad Jordan doesn't make that driver anylonger.
These are the most detailed realisting soundings speakers
if heard.
The amount of bass detail present from these subs is Astonishing.
You can't know what your missing until you hear it.
I'm not talking about boom, boom, thud as most speakers are today.
They can play the detail of the individual bass note like most
people don't even know is there.
I ROTFLMAO when I read about "audiophiles" claiming there is no
need for speakers which can play below 40 hz. LOL
Poor guys.

GTF

Re: Jordan Drivers [message #21689 is a reply to message #21647] Sun, 27 August 2006 00:51 Go to previous message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
While I use Fostex drivers in one of my designs, in general I agree with Jim's comments here.

I get around the limitations he mentions in the FE206E by using a notch filter to smooth out the treble emphasis and by rolling off the bass below 120 Hz or so. I use a separate woofer section for the bottom end. Still, I wouldn't mind having a bit more x-max available from the Fostex. That being said, I do like their efficiency and liveliness.

Sounds like the Jordans are very refined drivers. Maybe one of these days I'll have to try a pair.

Duke

Previous Topic: Any opinions on these cheap waveguides?
Next Topic: Interesting Article
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:28:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout