Home » Audio » Speaker » Garage Sales Find
Garage Sales Find [message #21509] Sat, 27 May 2006 12:40 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You've got to check out what I ended up with from a garage sale today. I was strolling through a street sale this morning and a set old DIY speakers caught my eye. The cabinet was old, dirty and ugly. There was also no way for me to see what was inside without unscrewing the back panel, which I counld do at the time.

I told the lady I wasn't interested in buying. I already have too many speakers at home. She told me I could have it for free. It was getting late and I was the only one to have shown any interest in them. They were her husband's and have been sitting in the garage for years. Just them, my wife walked by and gave her blessing, so in they went into the car. In the car, I realized that in addition to being dirty and ugly, the speakers were also smelly.

At home, the first thing I did was check for impedence. Didn't want to hook up an amp if they were shorted. Both measured 13 ohms. I took my gainclone and iPod outside to the speakers, hooked them up and was wow-ed by the sound. At this point, I was very curious to see what was inside. It took about 25 minutes to work the rusted screws off the back of one of the cabinets. The back panel was marked April 1961, which I assume was when these speakers were built.

Click on the link to see inside.

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21510 is a reply to message #21509] Sat, 27 May 2006 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That appears to be a very good man's find!

Dave

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21511 is a reply to message #21510] Sat, 27 May 2006 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Goodmans is an english speaker of very high quality. Many of the better British speakers used their drivers inside. The 300 model I believe was the top of the line but you should be able to find that info on the net. Alnico magnets and a rare pulp cone. I have heard a couple of their models and they sound very warm and musical. Nice find G.

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21512 is a reply to message #21509] Sun, 28 May 2006 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice find, G-man!
I would love to hear how they sound compared to other vintage drivers you have heard.
-akhilesh

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21515 is a reply to message #21511] Sun, 28 May 2006 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'd of bought those just cuz they look cool! What a surprise to find those drivers in them! I never have any luck at garage/estate sales around here.

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21519 is a reply to message #21509] Sun, 28 May 2006 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, man, that's cooool!

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21520 is a reply to message #21515] Mon, 29 May 2006 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
We have some areas locally that have always been wealth centers. The garage sales there used to be veritable goldmines of things. For years in the 60's and 70's you could not believe what would turn up. So; the proffessionals began organising garage sale cliques; now you can't get near anything there. They are so tuned in that anything of value is gone before the sale even begins.
One anecdote; my friend Rich picks up a set of Quads; thats the tube pre-amp/22 tube amps/ and the speakers. 350$ Mint condition. They are listed as worth about 6,000$ An old guy on the north shore. Bought them new. These finds were everywhere.

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21522 is a reply to message #21520] Mon, 29 May 2006 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That's how it is here in Amarillo. There are about 3 guys here in town that seem to get most of the vintage stuff from every garage sale and estate sale. Always see it end up on ebay. I was at a garage sale last year and saw a pair of Klipsch Heresy's sitting up on a shelf in this guys garage collecting dust. Asked him if he wanted to sell them. He said to make him an offer so I did for about $200. They were in great shape. He said he'd think about it and to come by in an hour or two and I could probably get them. Well, as we can all guess he went in and checked ebay to see what they were going for and when I came back he wouldn't take less than $400 for them. Hadn't used them in 15 years he said. Jeesh! I wish he hadn't been out in the garage because his wife would have just given them to me to be rid of them.

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21523 is a reply to message #21522] Mon, 29 May 2006 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

"I hate it when that happens!"

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21524 is a reply to message #21523] Mon, 29 May 2006 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; you now have to resort to subtrefuge. Wait until he isn't home and wave some cash at her.
Everyone thinks they are so slick with this E-Bay crap. Let them have this old junk stuff and when the last guy is stuck with it all we can snicker at him.
I tell anyone upfront; did you check E-Bay and are you now asking the highest price you saw on the site? Because if so; tell me now and don't waste my time.

Previous Topic: Throat size for woofer
Next Topic: XXLS subwoofer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:32:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout