Home » Audio » Speaker » DCA Driver in a PAWO horn
DCA Driver in a PAWO horn [message #21491] Sun, 30 April 2006 15:05 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Everyone,
A friend of mine, David Merrill, sent me a pair of drivers that he sells for $40 a pair (!). These have a rubber surroound & paper cone with no whizzer. They are about 4 inches.
I put them in a BR box of about 1 cu foot, tuned to about 90 HZ. they sounded very nice. Next, he sent me the same driver in a PAWO horn. I put them on a couple of days ago & was amazed at the bass. THe bass starts off at 45 HZ and goes on up. Very good from a 4 incher! The bass quality is good as well.
The highs over 4000 Hz are a bit high, esp in my very live family room.
A very impressive effort indeed.
I plan to demo these (I am not a representative or anything: no commercial interest in this driver or company whatsoever, he is just a friend with a good product) at GPAF for half the time (the other half I'll simply play my own wide range driver based system).

Do come & listen. I'll run them full range with no BSC or other circuit, and no subwoofer..just full range.
Hope to see you all there!
-akhilesh

Re: DCA Driver in a PAWO horn [message #21492 is a reply to message #21491] Sun, 30 April 2006 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
There's been a lot of interest and work done with a horn
design called the BIB (Bigger Is Better) first built by Terry
Cain from some plans in Japanese. All of these BIBs use
4, 5 and in one case 8 in. drivers but those would be huge.

The design is like a Voigt Pipe with an extra fold that
fires out the top instead of the bottom. When placed in a
corner, the walls load and essentailly increase the
flare of the horn mouth or terminus

With the driver specs that you have the gang that's
building the BIB site at:

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp

can give you some dimensions.

One design element of that site is it's not real clear on how
to move around. Click in the red "how To Build a BIB" to see basic design principles. Click on the speaker logos for alignments and
specs for individual drivers.

Have fun.

Re: DCA Driver in a PAWO horn [message #21493 is a reply to message #21492] Sun, 30 April 2006 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks lon.
Here is the link for the PAWO horn:
http://www.audio-resolution.com/zhorn/fr125s.html

I have never actually indulged in backloaded horn construction, and this is my first real experience with one. I find this PAWO horn to ba an elegant design (in terms of space) and more to the point, sounding SIGNIFICANLTY better than a BR box in terms of bass.

Re: DCA Driver in a PAWO horn [message #21494 is a reply to message #21493] Sun, 30 April 2006 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes, lately these have gone through a number of significant
developments over at the Full Range Driver Forum. There's
one called the Houston and the Dallas since the designer is from
Texas. Use of CNC on these adds a new technologic wrinkle. It
has definitely added new interest to speaker building.

Re: DCA Driver in a PAWO horn [message #21495 is a reply to message #21491] Mon, 01 May 2006 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master

I will bring a pair of bipolar MLTL speakers to the GPAF which uses the CSS FR125S and WR125S (one per side). This is a true full range speaekr with BSC built in. Bass to 40 Hz.

Re: DCA Driver in a PAWO horn [message #21496 is a reply to message #21495] Mon, 01 May 2006 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Cool Jim! Can't wait to hear them.
-akhilesh

Followup on DCA Driver in a PAWO horn [message #21497 is a reply to message #21491] Tue, 09 May 2006 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Everyone,
I used the DCA (D'Charles Audio) driver in the PAWO horn at the audio fest to demo the enhancement of a single driver. I liked it so much, that I bought it off Dave Merrill!
Here are my thoughts on this driver in this box:

1. The driver has a rubber surround and is capable of some serious Xmax. It also has a paper cone. IF you run it "pure full range" it produced very decent bass down to about 45 HZ, but the driver really works it's little tush off, and this causes the highs to become edgy.

2. Crossing it at 70HZ with a 24 db Xover, and a sub greatly reduces the Xmax and smooths off the highs as well. I think that this is a must do with this driver, unless all you like is acoustic/jazz type music at moderate levels (in that case pure full range will do).

3. The driver box combo is capable of 45 HZ which gives us almost an octave to spare if corssed at 70 Hz. This leads to better integration with the sub.

4. The reason I bought this was that when crossed with a sub, this is a very musical driver, with great performance in a small to medium sized space. It's efficiency is about 90 db, and it can handle 20 watts. THis makes it go upto pretty loud levels, and the dynamics are pretty good for a small to medium sized space.

5. The cabinet itslef is very elegantly designed in terms of space saving.

Just my thoughts on this" my latest acquisition! I'l lrpobably run it in my office with a cheap sub.
-akhilesh

Re: Followup on DCA Driver in a PAWO horn [message #21498 is a reply to message #21497] Tue, 09 May 2006 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi Akhilesh,

I am glad that you bought these speakers. I know from what I heard from them at the show. They will provide you with alott of musical enjoyment.

I was thinking that these drivers could make a killer line array.

Thanks for all of your efforts at the show, it was fun and infomative.

Norris

Re: Followup on DCA Driver in a PAWO horn [message #21499 is a reply to message #21497] Tue, 09 May 2006 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Akhilesh, could you send me the contact info for your friend? I can't remember if I wrote my email info down for you or not. If no it's shanemmail-forums at yahoo dot com.

Also, what DBX model Xover were you using?

Thanks,
Shane

Infor on Dave Merrill Plus DBX Xover [message #21500 is a reply to message #21499] Tue, 09 May 2006 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Shane,
His name is Dave Merrill,
and his email is:
AMERRILL AT WEB-STER DOT COM.

He is a single driver fanatic, and has built all sorts of stuff. He is selling these drivers (with plans for the horn that are free off the web anyway) for $40 a pair. Just to clarify, I have no commerical interest in this whatsoever, hence am posting it here and not in the SWAP forum.

Drop him a line. He is a nice guy.

My DBX crossover model is: DBX 234. It was made in 1999. Not sure if DBX makes it today. It's an analog stereo 3 way crossover. Other companies that make these are ART, Behringer, etc etc. IF you awant to spend more bucks, get a Rane. DBX is good middle of the pack.
Hope this helps!
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Anyone know about these speakers.
Next Topic: Update of diyhorn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 11:14:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout