Home » Audio » Speaker » Fostex SP11 MK II speakers
Fostex SP11 MK II speakers [message #21486] Fri, 21 April 2006 15:29 Go to next message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum. I just picked up a pair of Fostex SP11 MK II PA speakers for $10.00. I figured I could do something with them. Even with the 2 drives per side they are not very efficient at 92db@1w/1m. Sill not bad for small drivers. It appears that Fostex does not even sell these in the US but I found the specs on the international Fostex site (see link).
The drives in them are model 10F07C and are 16ohm 10cm full ranges with stamped stell baskets and have big magnets for a driver of its size. The cone appears to be paper with a foam surround. The cabinets a molded plastic(?) that is comon for pro speakers. They have a switch on them for different equalization cuvers for voice and music.

It didn't sound bad with the old Sony receiver I used to test it and the switches set on music. A lot of base was kicking out the port. You could feel it pulse with you hand, but this is definately not a base heavy speaker. I was thinking of trying it with a 12" M&K subwoofer that I have. Im not sure about the idea of a pair of horozontally mouted woofers angled slightly out from each other per speaker but I'll give it a try.

I was wondering is: Are these divers 16ohm verisons of Fostex 107 drives?

Are there any suggestion of what to do with these that don't involve sensitive parts of my anatomy? (Ears are ok!) Any info would be helpful!

TIA

Dave

Re: Fostex SP11 MK II speakers [message #21489 is a reply to message #21486] Sat, 22 April 2006 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Dave,
I'd use an active xover and cross them over at 100-120 Hz with a powered sub. These look like they may sound good with like a SET 300B tube amp, or even a PP el34/el84 amp.
Let us know what you end up doing with them.
-akhilesh

Re: Fostex SP11 MK II speakers [message #21490 is a reply to message #21489] Sun, 23 April 2006 20:34 Go to previous message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
Your thoughts were similar to mine. The M&K is a powered sub with an active crossover. I do have a Dynaco ST-35 amp that might work well with it, as well as some good sand amps. I'm a vintage collector. It's too bad that nobody seems to know about the drivers. I give these speakers a flogging and post back. I just could not leave it behind for the price.

Dave

Previous Topic: Neo8 vs. HI-VI RT8-II 8"
Next Topic: Gallery of Kees Soeter's DIY horn build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:07:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers