Home » Audio » Speaker » correction filter for Fostex fe206e in a Jeriko
correction filter for Fostex fe206e in a Jeriko [message #20576] Wed, 05 January 2005 04:38 Go to next message
Kane is currently offline  Kane
Chancellor
Iam building the Jeriko but with the 206 instead of 208. Do anyone think i need a correctionfilter for this?

Re: correction filter for Fostex fe206e in a Jeriko [message #20577 is a reply to message #20576] Wed, 05 January 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Kane,
Does the speaker have a correction filter with the 208? What knid of crossover or network does it use?
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: correction filter for Fostex fe206e in a Jeriko [message #20578 is a reply to message #20577] Thu, 06 January 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi Akhilesh!
I´m building the Jeriko enclosure right now and have no crossover netw/filter yet. I was planning to use the original 208 Sigma driver but i learned it was out of production. Having noticed the 206´s are getting so much good critic in the different forums(some are not satisfied with the new 208?) i decided to go for the 206 instead. I heard about 2 simular project and was recommended to do so. The datasheets on the 206 shows a really smooth imperdanse curve and the frequency seems ok too? i live way up north(arctic) and i have to order the different components for a filter and will try to get it right so i dont spend a lot money on shipping.
I use a small integrated tube amplifier.
Thanks!
Kane

Re: correction filter for Fostex fe206e in a Jeriko [message #20581 is a reply to message #20578] Thu, 06 January 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Kane,
You are right about the 206 curves. I'd run it clean first to see how the horn works, and then try a notch filter (+3db below 2000 Hz). IF that does not work, then try a notch filter at 200hz with a 3 db boost below that.
let us know how it works out!
-akhilesh

Re: correction filter for Fostex fe206e in a Jeriko [message #20583 is a reply to message #20581] Fri, 07 January 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Akhilesh!
I´ll try that. Recieved the drivers today and they feels/looks great. Because of busy days on work i cant start with the horns for about 2 weeks. I will let u know how it goes.
Later!
Kane

Re: correction filter for Fostex fe206e in a Jeriko [message #20584 is a reply to message #20583] Fri, 07 January 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Kane,
PLease do let us know, since this is a project that will interst many of us! If you can take pics of the horns as they are built, thjat would be very informative as well.
BTW, you may want to later experiment with a cheap supertweeter (like a dome tweeter by vifa, eff say around 93-95) crossed over at 12-15 khz, with no voltage dropper. You may find this adds a lot of air and increases the soundstage. I know it did so in my home brews.
thanx
-akhilesh

-akhilesh

Re: correction filter for Fostex fe206e in a Jeriko [message #20585 is a reply to message #20584] Fri, 07 January 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi there!
I will take pics. The supertweeter consept i do like. Do you have any tips reg. enclosures? i looked up some tweeters from Vifa at: http://www.mamut.com/controls/shop/shops/1/standardplist.asp?wwwalias=dynabel&subgid=1&gid=10
Any suggestions? the spl on the affordable ones is not to effective but there may be a spl boost in a enclosure? I do not have so much knowlege about these things. I have only builded some bassreflex enclosures and som crossover uppgrading before. This Jericho plan i will put together(with some help from my father, who is a furniture builder by profession) as close to the original plan as possible. I will not try to uppgrade its original volum/length and i use the 19mm MDF as the original. But i will add dubble sides and back and fill the empty spaces with sand + experimenting with stuffing.
I´m not shure if the 19mm frontbaffel is thick enough? Do you have an opinion on that? Can i doubble the front too without doing something wrong to the performance? Maybe make the innerplate a bit wider and carve the circle edge.
Well, it´s really interessting and its easy to get stoked over the consept of speakerbuilding.
Later!
Kane

Re: correction filter for Fostex fe206e in a Jeriko [message #20586 is a reply to message #20585] Fri, 07 January 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Your 19mm baffle should be fine, you can double the baffle like you've said just as long as it dosn't interfere with the back wave feeding the horn but I don't see where you need to, it'll just add more weight(lb's) to the speaker. Hope you got a forklift to move the things after your done there going to weigh a ton with double sides, back and sand filling.

Bill W.

Tweeter [message #20587 is a reply to message #20585] Sat, 08 January 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Kane,
I would suggest you look at www.parts-express.com, and look for the vifa dome tweeters in the $25 range. They do have one at 95 db, that is very good. It is sealed back, so you can put it anywhere. It's good till 30 KHZ. I have used that one (the part number ecapes me but it costs $25).

Good luck, and keep us posted.
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: correction filter for Fostex fe206e in a Jeriko [message #20588 is a reply to message #20585] Sat, 08 January 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI KAne,
Look for tweeters on www.parts-express.com. They have Vifa dome tweeters. One is $25-$27, with eff of 95 db and freq ext till 30Khz. I have used that successfully. It has a sealed back, so no cabinet needed.
thanx and keep us posted!
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Choosing array, please help...
Next Topic: Favorite flavors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 06:51:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout