Home » Audio » Speaker » Ping: Jim Griffin - DIY Atlanta speaker
Ping: Jim Griffin - DIY Atlanta speaker [message #20532] Sat, 27 November 2004 18:28 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I was Googling Jordan 92's and came across your winner with ribbon. Congrat's. I keep coming back to a single driver but my only experience was with the 4" Fostex 103E that sounded like a clock radio above Middle C. How would you characterise the Jordan?
I haven't got the funds for the kit with AC ribbon but could swing the Jordans and build a cabinet. Use the Jordan Factory TL plans.Then maybe add the ribbons. Worthwhile?

Re: Ping: Jim Griffin - DIY Atlanta speaker [message #20533 is a reply to message #20532] Sat, 27 November 2004 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master

Bill,

The Jordan JX92S is a very nice driver when used alone. Like most speakers you will need a little baffle step compensation (BSC) to balance the sound. The JX92S would certainly be a step above the Fostex 103E.

While the Jordan driver does several things well--nice bass extension in a reasonable sized vented alignment, acceptable full range performance, etc--it does have some shortcomings. There is some beaming and a bit of roughness in the upper octave (10-20 kHz) as you will find with most full range single driver speakers. The JX92S speaker is not as sensitivity as one might like and the BSC reduces sensitivity a bit more (say in the mid 80's DB SPL). I would suggest that you will need to have 20 watts or more per channel to get the best from them. They work their best in a small to moderate sized room.

I'm not much on the Jordan factory TL plans as you can not get chest thumping bass from a driver this size with any bass alignment in my opinion. My vented mini-monitors have enough extension (down to low 50's Hz) and it is so easy to pick-up the lowest octave with a true subwoofer that I suggest that you aim in that direction. Now Greg Monfort (GM) has a Martin King spread sheet mass loaded QW design that some folks have built that is supposed to be very good although I haven't heard them.

The Atlanta DIY winners (Jordan JX92S with Aurum Cantus G2si ribbon) are a definite sonic miracle in my mind. A 0.3 cu. ft. speaker that goes down to a 51 Hz F3 point for bass. The airy sound of the ribbons for the highs really helps their character. They are lightning in a bottle (or a box in this case) with a wide soundstage and a nonfatiguing character that makes you enjoy them for hours. I've built small speakers and large ones (line arrays) but this is most my most enjoyable design.

Bottom line is that you will be happy with the JX92S single driver speaker but you would really love the JX92S with the ribbon configuration.

Jim

Re: Ping: Jim Griffin - DIY Atlanta speaker [message #20543 is a reply to message #20533] Sat, 11 December 2004 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAW is currently offline  RAW
Chancellor
Wish I would have had a set to listen to.Never know may get a set up and going for Bob.

Nice lookers for sure ;}

Al

Re: Ping: Jim Griffin - DIY Atlanta speaker [message #20544 is a reply to message #20543] Sat, 11 December 2004 19:13 Go to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Al,

Thanks for the reply. You really need to hear these speakers. They are exceptional for their size. There is synergy in these two drivers.

Thanks to you the enclosures are just perfect for this application.

Jim

Previous Topic: Loudspeaker re-design help needed!
Next Topic: ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:29:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout