Home » Audio » Speaker » Doping
Doping [message #20513] Mon, 08 November 2004 16:23 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
I remember reading the Stereophile review about the Horne Shoppe rear loaded horn that had a Fostex fe 167 9 I think) and that they "jap slapped" it with "dope" on one side of the cone---??? and I have read about several people using "Podgy" on the whizzers---agiain, need to be using a Radio Shack driver that runs 10 or 15 bucks to try out all the variables here----I'll to Steve at Decware as I'm sure he has destroyed a few drivers in the cause---Jim

Re: Doping [message #20514 is a reply to message #20513] Tue, 09 November 2004 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Didn't Doc over at Bottlehead coat the drivers on his Straight 8's? You might check over at his board for the recipe....Colin

Re: Doping [message #20517 is a reply to message #20513] Sat, 13 November 2004 06:50 Go to previous message
Ed Schilling is currently offline  Ed Schilling
Baron
Jim, I have used cone coatings for many years. Good old Elmers white glue works but will discolor over time. Steve Deckert told me about "Weldbond Adhesive" several years ago. That is what I switched to. In an effort to upset everyone.........I have not been able to "hear" a difference between a Dammar coated cone and an uncoated one. I am not convinced of it's effectiveness in damping or even stiffening, regardless of how many use it. My opinion only! This has not been the case with Weldbond. I have always viewed the coating as a "stiffener" and "damper"........on the original drivers (Fe 108 sigma) I coated the whole cone, with the new drivers (Fe108 E sigma) I coat just the dust cap. Not every driver will benefit and some will be hurt by it. . Mr. Deckert said to me years ago......."sometimes you have to break things to learn ". How very true......I have ruined a LOT of drivers!
There are commercial "cone coatings" but I have not tried them. I tend to stick with what works for me, although I am constantly experimenting. Weldbond has been "king of the heap" so far (for me). The one draw back in coatings that comes to mind is a very slight loss of efficiency.....the increase in "clarity" I think out weighs this draw back. Again, my opinion.
Ed

Previous Topic: 3-way arrays
Next Topic: Audio Note Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:10:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers