Home » Audio » General » Upcoming Events
Upcoming Events [message #1942] Thu, 30 June 2005 23:32 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Anyone going to Colorado in October for RMAF? How 'bout California in November for the VTV Expo?

Re: Upcoming Events [message #1951 is a reply to message #1942] Sat, 02 July 2005 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guitarplayer is currently offline  guitarplayer
Baron
Going to the RMAF and exhibiting.

Regards,

Lee

Yo. [message #1952 is a reply to message #1942] Sat, 02 July 2005 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
Ryan Tew of Red Dragon wants to use a Moebius in his room, and a Machine if available.  The Moebius you used at the GPAF is at 6moons being reviewed, but should be back in time.

The Machine you guys used got damaged when shipped back.  I may be able to uncrunch it in time, maybe not; it has to be completely disassembled to refinish the chassis.  I hope to be there in force, however; the Rocky has turned out to be a mayjah deal.

Can't be there in scrawny person, though; as before.

You going?

Poinz

Re: Yo. [message #1953 is a reply to message #1952] Sat, 02 July 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, man, thats terrible about shipping damage! Did you file a claim? What was the nature of the damage? I'm really bummed about that, because it is such a nice amp!

Re: Upcoming Events [message #1954 is a reply to message #1951] Sat, 02 July 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Be sure and take some photos and write it up for us, will you?

Nah. [message #1958 is a reply to message #1953] Sun, 03 July 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
It's the Post Office, and those guys are just glacial when there's a problem.  I'm just going to fix it.  Meanwhile, I get to have a current version in my rig, which sounds substantially better than my Old Reliable Original.

Front right corner got bashed. At least it was on the way to me, and not you or a client. It's a part of my education for this stuff, and so good that it happened (twice, now) early on.  I'm learning that shipping damage is a major headache for any small mail-order business.  The product has to be packed far better than if it were a big-box item, because it gets shipped all alone, rather than on a skip with two hundred others, and thus hoisted by a crane or forklift by the skip.

I'm now packing in a bigger box, with the foam blocks all the way around, and putting plastic drywall cornerbead in all the corners, so the foam won't collapse when (I did not say if!) it gets thrown on a table edge on a corner.

Not your fault, my man.

Poinz

Re: Yo! Poinz. [message #1959 is a reply to message #1958] Sun, 03 July 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've been using the 12"x48"x3/4" styrofoam for a long time but recently started lining all 6 sides of the bix with 1/4" Luaun plywood.
I dunno about the freight, but I sure feel better.

Re: Yo! Poinz. [message #1960 is a reply to message #1959] Sun, 03 July 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've started using foam-in-place packaging for stuff like the midhorn kits that are hard to protect other ways. That's how the AudioTropic amp was packaged, but apparently it wasn't enough for the journey across the Pacific. Must have gotten run over by a delivery truck!

My solution [message #1961 is a reply to message #1959] Sun, 03 July 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
I'm shipping 65lb and 90lb speakers by UPS.

My latest, and seemingly effective solution is to wrap the speaker in two layers of 1" beadboard, put 4-ply cardboard corners on all eight corners, and put all of this in a box. I ship the plinth separate from the main cabinet because the cross-section of the plinth is larger than the cabinet and was taking all of the force.

My experience is that all of the damage is done in the last 100 feet of the journey. The drivers can't lift the boxes, so rather than slide them gently off of the truck deck, they just push them off. The box drops 3 feet onto one corner. The cardboard corner blocks were the solution. They spread the force over the beadboard and keep the corner of the speaker from penetrating the box. I have tried wood crates, but the drivers hate them -- hard on the hands -- and make a speaceal effort to damage the shipment. Wood boxes are brittle enough to shatter unless they are prohibitively heavy. Cardboard boxes are more likely to stay together.

I have a problem with lining the box with plywood. At my weights, the plywood might well cut through the box. What are your shipping weights?

Bob

Re: My solution [message #1962 is a reply to message #1961] Sun, 03 July 2005 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's how I've shipped medium-sized loudspeakers too. Large ones have to be strapped and palletized, but under about 6 cubic feet, cardboard corner protectors in boxes work pretty well. But the AudioTropic amp was nowhere near this large, and I'm surprised it was damaged. It had to have been a severe impact or worse, because it was encased in a block of solid injection foam.

Previous Topic: New copy protection
Next Topic: Beam Echo Model SPA-21
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 06:13:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout