Home » Audio » General » Post Shopping Advice
Post Shopping Advice [message #1914] Fri, 24 June 2005 11:18 Go to next message
s7on3d is currently offline  s7on3d
Esquire
Ok, so after going around to a bunch of shops, I found a setup I REALLY like, but I don't think I can afford it. I need some help with that...

So as far as an amp goes, I think I'm basically decided on a Harman-Kardon AVR 235. I know I said $150, and Stereo, but I heard this amp as stereo, then as a surround amp, and it sounded so good... I think I've fallen in love with the extra lower-midrange in the H/Ks that gives a warmer feeling. I tried it with a bunch of speakers and after around 3 hours found a setup that fits me.

I tried to find a pair of bookshelfs with distinct treble, mids, and expecially good clean bass. I have decided that it just doesn't exist. The Bose 201s were my front-runners for a while (I know it's a sin around here, but they sounded good) thanks to their clear highs and VERY defined lows, even overtaking the 301s by miles. But, alas they REALLY lacked in mids. I tried a bunch of others, but nothing had the lows of the bose, or any better highs.

Then I found the Infinity Beta 10s. These speakers have VERY clear, defined, beautiful highs and mids, but no bass whatsoever, so my only choice was to go towards a surround amp so I could add some bass with a subwoofer.

We hooked it all up, then as a sub I connected the Earthquake Sub80. Together, the only thing I can say is WOW. Everything sounded amazing, from smooth Jazz to Classical. Fusion to Rock. At one point, I would have sworn that the Red Hot Chilli Peppers were playing right there in the room with me.

Now for my qestion. As you can see, my budget has gone up, with the H/K at $350, the Beta 10s at $229 and the sub at $250, the cost has more than doubled to $830. The amp's a keeper. Too good to let it go, and my dad may be willing to pitch in since in the future it could become the home theater receiver for our house. I like the Beta 10s too much to let them go either. So the question is, how do I get a cheaper sub? I know absolutely nothing about subs, and I have no plans of pumping it up to full power (as is the custom among the local Rap and R&B fans). It's a very powerful sub at 250 watts, and honestly I don't think I need that much power. I hat subs that "boom", I want it to subtley add bass without giving any "boom-boom" grief. I want clean lows. VERY clean. Even Tight. Got any advice?

Re: Post Shopping Advice [message #1915 is a reply to message #1914] Fri, 24 June 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Which classical piece did you use to audition this exemplary system?

Re: Post Shopping Advice [message #1916 is a reply to message #1914] Fri, 24 June 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI,
the $250 for a sub is very cheap. In my experience, if you are happy with this system, theyn stay with it. IT will be hard to get a sub under that that you like, though you can audition some at circuit city or some other place, and may well find you prefer a cheaper sub to the $250 one!
I know radio chack has a $100 or so sub. SOme guitar stores have cheap subs as well. Jensen makes some good cheap active subs (i know: i use one connected to my TV that I got on ebay for $20, that retailed for $80).
-akhilesh

Addendum [message #1917 is a reply to message #1916] Fri, 24 June 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I believe you are here for an honest opinion. So I will give it. O think you cold do a lot better in tmers of pure listening pleasure for the money.
A tripath chip amp can be bought for $99 (the TEAC) and you can get awesome speakers for $400. There are many available. What you are buying, in my opinion, may give you short term satisfaction, but, may bore you after a while. It certainly won;t move you, again in my opinion.
-akhilesh

Re: Post Shopping Advice [message #1918 is a reply to message #1915] Fri, 24 June 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Beethoven's 5th and 9th Symphonies, Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto , 1812 Overture, and 1st Piano concerto, Bizet's Carmen were the big classical pieces I checked.

Re: Post Shopping Advice [message #1919 is a reply to message #1918] Fri, 24 June 2005 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
And I almost forgot, Bach's Tocatta and Fugue and Brandenburg Concerto No.3.

Re: Addendum [message #1920 is a reply to message #1917] Fri, 24 June 2005 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I haven't heard the Teac yet. Does it thave the warmth of the H/K's? I've really fallen in love with the warm mid-rangy sound.

Re: Post Shopping Advice [message #1921 is a reply to message #1919] Fri, 24 June 2005 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Good Choices. Got any recommendations; could be Jazz also.

Re: Post Shopping Advice [message #1922 is a reply to message #1921] Fri, 24 June 2005 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Recommendations for more music to try out a system, or just good music all 'round?

Re: Post Shopping Advice [message #1923 is a reply to message #1922] Fri, 24 June 2005 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Stuff you like in the Jazz or Classical genre.

Previous Topic: Same great music on Vinyl vs. CD...
Next Topic: we 53A condenser mic power
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:02:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout