Home » Audio » General » Anti-Cables, for speakers?
Anti-Cables, for speakers? [message #1857] Fri, 10 June 2005 04:07 Go to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has tried these speaker cables?
I thought for $80 an 8 foot pair, that they would be cheap enough to try with out going broke. They may just be the real thing for reality prices. I know there has to be an alternative to the way over priced snake oil brands.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Norris Wilson

Here's the way I see it.... [message #1858 is a reply to message #1857] Fri, 10 June 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Mr. Wilson,

The way I see it is this, you either believe interconnects and cables can make a difference in the quality of sound from your system or you don't. If you don't believe they make a difference than why not just go down to your local Home Depot, buy some wire, terminate them with some low cost connectors and your done. If you do think they can make a difference but don't like the high prices (I agree the prices are high) you could buy used on Audiogon or e-bay. Probably pay half price or less depending on your bargaining powers and your ability to be patient.

As far as I'm concerned, I thought that wires made a difference but a very small difference. That is until I tried a single pair of MIT Shotgun S1 phono cable on my turntable. It made a significant difference. It made such a positive difference in my system that I replaced all of my cables and interconnects with MIT Shotgun S1. It didn't make as big a difference as changing my phono cable but it made a decent difference. I am very happy with them. I have tried many other cables and found the differences between them to be small. They usually fit into the realm of "I think I can hear a difference but it may be in my head". This however wasn't the case in my system with the MIT cable. I'm not pushing MIT on you. Or any other cable for that matter. I'm just relaying my experience. I have no connection with MIT at all expect being a happy customer. My point is this. Decide which group you fit into and go from there.

Re: Here's the way I see it.... [message #1859 is a reply to message #1858] Fri, 10 June 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You make a good and reasonable point Mr V. I personally can't understand why people who claim to be actively participating in this hobby have such a hard time deciding if they are hearing something or not. I must admitt to being baffled at the concept that one is oblivious to the effects of every aspect of the reproduction of sound.
To subscribe to the notion that we must make a position statement regarding wires is very strange to say the least. Wires like everything else change electronic reproduction of sound. If you choose not to believe and consequently not to hear a change in sound; then you have made a conscious philosophical choice; it has nothing to do with sound and everything to do with personality.

Re: Anti-Cables, for speakers? [message #1860 is a reply to message #1857] Fri, 10 June 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Norris,
DO they publish the L, C and R values of their speaker cables? I'd be suspicious of anyone who did not.
thanks
-akhilesh

Re: Thanks Akhilesh, Mr Vinyl, and Manualblock [message #1861 is a reply to message #1857] Fri, 10 June 2005 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I want to thank you for your input and opinions.

I for one cannot afford expensive toys, especially speaker wire.
So, my inquiry was more looking for opinions of these cables based on others experiences in using them.

I do in fact believe that cables and interconnects can make an audilble difference in the signal that it is transfering.

Obviously, there are many physical and electrical properties at work in every item used in an audio reprodution system. These principles can be manipulated in various ways.
Many people believe that wire has similar effects as an LC filter, ie, tone control.

Akhilesh, I have not seen the published specifications as you describe.

Manualblock, I have to agree with the basis of your comments.

Mr Vinyl, I have heard many significant differences made in the signal played through various cables, some good, some bad.
But, as usual, these changes are system dependant. Everyone precieves things differently, so personality can come into play when forming an opinion.

The rediculously over priced wires are more for the rich crowd that has the means to obtainem them.

I know that many of the high priced cables are excellent in their task, like the Nordost Vahalla. But I feel some of the pricing schemes are based more on the idea of the product in question having the ability to transfer the owner to another state of musical conciousness, or just an exercize in ego inflation.

I think there is point of demenishing returns of price versus performance in any product.
Some times people take things to seriously, and audio is one of them.

Audio is fun and I encourage evereyone to obtain their enjoyment in the way that suits them best. They can obtain this enjoyment, either by using the bang for the buck, or the cost no object products. It is each individuals choice limited by their bank account, common sense, or which ever way you look at it.

I am looking forward to any others comments about these principals and the Anti-wire speaker cables in question.

Thanks

Norris Wilson

PS. Forgive my spelling errors, it was one of my least favorite subjects in school.

Re: Thanks Akhilesh, Mr Vinyl, and Manualblock [message #1863 is a reply to message #1861] Sat, 11 June 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Mr. Wilson,

I apologize if I seemed flippant in my response to you. I was truly trying to help. I'm sorry but I don't have any experience with the cables you are asking about. However they seem to be just regular off the shelf cables to me. But I could be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time.) I think if I were in your shoes that maybe I would go the DIY route. There are many cable "recipes" on the net that have quite a following. If you have the time it could be fun to experiement. You can get bulk cable and parts from a company called VH Audio (see link below). There are other places as well. I mention VH Audio only because I have purchased a couple of thier power cords and they are very well built at a reasonable price. The company also has very good customer service. You can spend a lot or a little there. Anyway, again I apologize if I was less than gracious.

Re: Thanks Akhilesh, Mr Vinyl, and Manualblock [message #1864 is a reply to message #1863] Sat, 11 June 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Hi Mr Vinyl,
I did not take your original post in a negative light. I took it as the way I thought you meant it, as your opinion based on your experiences. It has been many years since I had the oportunity to listen to a system using MIT cables, the 750 shotgun I believe.
I remeber they are very good cable, but did not listen to my system with them installed. So, I only have a faint memory of that experience.
I took a glance at the link that you so kindly provided. There are many interesting products available, like the audiophile grade capacitors and speaker cables. When I get the chance, I will study their offerings more closely, they are very interesting indeed.
Thanks for your input, it has been helpful and is always welcome.
Norris Wilson

Re: Thanks Akhilesh, Mr Vinyl, and Manualblock [message #1866 is a reply to message #1861] Sun, 12 June 2005 15:36 Go to previous message
guitarplayer is currently offline  guitarplayer
Baron
People's opinions that I respect like the Anti-Cables. One of my customers replaced his big money speaker cables with them. I haven't heard them, though.

BTW, measurements do not tell the whole story, as we don't know how to measure all of the things that we can hear. Our best measurement tool is still on either side of our heads.

One of the reasons I don't publish the measured spec's of my cables is for very reason above. Yes, they measure just as they should,just as I designed them to and measure as good or better than anything else, but measurements don't tell people how things sound...not yet anyway. All they tell is that if there is an egregious error in design and most products offered today by any well respected company are probably well designed.

Previous Topic: Want to test your system in the bass department?
Next Topic: Great Plains Audiofest Writeup, Page 1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 07:12:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout