Home » Audio » Speaker » Beta 8A in a 2-way
Beta 8A in a 2-way [message #19405] Fri, 21 December 2007 10:01 Go to next message
AstroSonic is currently offline  AstroSonic
Baron
Anyone have some experience with the Eminence Beta 8A? It looks like a good candidate for a bass-mid driver in a fairly compact, moderately efficient, 2-way speaker system. In particular, it appears to have a fairly smooth response up to around 4kHz followed by a smooth, steep rolloff. It looks pretty good on paper. Seems like it could be run wide open, with a tweeter brought in at 4kHz. Is it usable at the upper end of its range without excessive audible peakiness or does it need to be crossed over earlier. How is the midrange/low HF quality of this driver?

Regards,

Bob

Re: Beta 8A in a 2-way [message #19406 is a reply to message #19405] Sat, 22 December 2007 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those are decent little drivers, much like the Alpha 8. They make a good two-way speaker crossed at 4kHz, just like you describe. You can't press them for much bass extension, but you can always add a sub. When used in a very small room they sound nice even without a sub. They have good clear midrange and smooth response overall.

Re: Beta 8A in a 2-way [message #19407 is a reply to message #19406] Sun, 23 December 2007 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AstroSonic is currently offline  AstroSonic
Baron
Wayne,

In your experience, do the Eminence drivers come within ballpark of their published T/S specs?

I will be using them in a small to medium size room and will probably add a sub. Preliminary modeling suggests that they could go to about 50Hz using an EBS alignment and room-lift. I am inclined to design for strong (near flat) response to around 65Hz, letting them handle the 'slam' frequencies and the sub handle the deeper bass.

The response curve showing the 4kHz rolloff is probably an on-axis measurement. Any idea where the rolloff starts at 30 - 45 degrees off-axis?

I suspect that to get a relatively smooth response and good in-room balance I will need to bring the tweeter in a bit earlier (3 - 3.5 kHz?). Well, experimentation is part of the fun.

Thanks for the help, and

Best regards,

Bob

Re: Beta 8A in a 2-way [message #19408 is a reply to message #19407] Sun, 23 December 2007 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Eminence is pretty good at providing accurate specs. I haven't measured off-axis, but I would expect the driver to start becoming directional around 2.5kHz.

Re: Beta 8A in a 2-way/ Astro [message #19453 is a reply to message #19405] Sat, 23 February 2008 10:52 Go to previous message
Scott L is currently offline  Scott L
Chancellor
Bob,

After careful consideration, and mostly because I have read this post, I have decided to design a small monitor based on this driver.
Currently, I live in a small apartment, so these will suffice for quite a while. I haven't decided on a tweeter yet, but was wondering how far along your project is ?

thanks,

scott

Previous Topic: Pick the right mid/woofer
Next Topic: Experiment, Insights pls?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:54:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers