Home » Audio » Speaker » A coax question
A coax question [message #19364] Sun, 14 October 2007 18:18 Go to next message
DanTheMan is currently offline  DanTheMan
Viscount
I was wondering how a coaxial woofer behaves at high frequencies. Will it act as an extension of the horn flare of the tweeter? Or will the flare of the tweeter horn be narrow enough and the crossover frequency of the tweeter horn be high enough that the treble escapes almost unscathed?

The speaker in question here would be the Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris. It is a 15" woofer with a 90 degree tweeter horn coaxially mounted with a crossover frequency of around 2000Hz. I don't know if this is enough info for anyone to answer the question or not, but I would really appreciate some insite.

Thanks again,

Dan

Re: A coax question [message #19365 is a reply to message #19364] Mon, 15 October 2007 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The tweeter will modify the radiation pattern, if large enough. There is a slight dip on axis in its shadow.

Re: A coax question [message #19366 is a reply to message #19365] Mon, 15 October 2007 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Do you mean the woofer will modify the tweeter's pattern? That was kind of what I was asking. Or do you really mean that the tweeter will modify the woofer's response? I would think that the tweeter could only modify the woofer's response due to the porus dustcap/lack of compression behind the dustcap. I don't really know, but thanks for the reply Wayne! Hopefully I wasn't too confusing.

Re: A coax question [message #19367 is a reply to message #19366] Mon, 15 October 2007 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What I'm saying is that coaxial tweeters with horn flares that protrude out in front of a midwoofer will modify the dispersion of the midwoofer. The listener is in the shadow of the tweeter horn on-axis, so the midrange from the midwoofer is affected.

Re: A coax question [message #19368 is a reply to message #19367] Tue, 16 October 2007 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks Wayne, I gotcha there, and that's something I never thought about. It only protrudes a couple of mms.

Will the woofer affect the tweeter response? ie. Will it act as a moving waveguide or distort the HF as it passes through the MR and bass?

Thanks again!

Dan

Re: A coax question [message #19369 is a reply to message #19368] Tue, 16 October 2007 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The woofer acts as a launch boundary, confining the radiation angle at low frequencies where the horn alone is too small to be effective controlling the pattern. This tends to smooth the response a little bit compared to freespace. The woofer is slightly cone shaped, so the radiation angle is smaller than halfspace but larger than quarter space.

Re: A coax question [message #19370 is a reply to message #19369] Tue, 16 October 2007 17:34 Go to previous message
Viscount
Ah yes! Thanks Wayne. Somehow it seems so obvious now. I was wanting to make it harder than that. I guess I always do when it's something I don't have a great grasp of in the first place.

Thanks again!

Dan

Previous Topic: Omega speakers
Next Topic: Whats the point?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 03:03:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers