Home » Audio » Speaker » Lycra Horns
Lycra Horns [message #19195] Tue, 10 April 2007 22:44 Go to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
I was perusing the Speakerplans website and happened across a thread in the New Projects forum in which a midrange horn was fashioned from Lycra.

The fabric was affixed to a wood frame to form the mouth, then a wood disk (from the throat cutout) was centered on the fabric and pulled from behind to stretch it into a horn. The frame shape and some strategic stitching gave the desired flare. The Lycra was then coated on both sides with layers of resin and fiberglass. Once dry, the throat was adhesed to the frame and the excess material was cut away.

The added bonus is that your horn can be any color you wish. Very clever!

Re: Lycra Horns [message #19198 is a reply to message #19195] Wed, 11 April 2007 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blake is currently offline  blake
Chancellor
Do you happen to remember which thread that was? I briefly looked at the 'new projects' forum, but didn't have time to open every thread on all 32 pages

I couldn't get the search function to work either.

Thanks

Blake

Re: Lycra Horns [message #19199 is a reply to message #19195] Thu, 12 April 2007 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
Ok wow so you know I have to throw in that wonderful question that no one else might even think about asking,lol. What color did you choos your horn to be?

Re: Lycra Horns [message #19203 is a reply to message #19198] Thu, 12 April 2007 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
The thread is entitled "project firewood tops (aka "terror tops")" and it's almost halfway down the first page.

I haven't made any such horns, but I'd be partial to purple!

Re: Lycra Horns [message #19204 is a reply to message #19203] Fri, 13 April 2007 00:29 Go to previous message
blake is currently offline  blake
Chancellor
Thanks!

Previous Topic: Consequences of non-optimal throat transition in mid and high frequency horns
Next Topic: Fostex surrounds?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:13:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout