Home » Audio » Speaker » Steak Sauce
Steak Sauce [message #18968] Fri, 13 October 2006 19:40 Go to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Here is the next installment on my open baffle ramblings… Having just listened to a number of recordings on my latest incarnation of the OB Electro-Voice, I have to say that not having a box to color the speaker seems to me like not putting sauce on your steak. What I mean is that sauce seems to cover stuff up so that one steak can taste kind of like the next, and it takes bigger differences to tell them apart. What you really taste is the sauce, not the meat. Same thing I’m finding the more I listen OB. I can really tell big differences between output tubes, for example. Or between quality of recordings. It’s been an interesting evening. I don’t have all the bass bugs ironed out yet, but getting there. I ordered some 15” Dayton IB subs today. And someone has some JBL M252’s I might be trying soon. For now, I’m using one EV SP-12C on each side and the bass is two EV TRXB’s in an open back box in the center crossed at about 125 hz. Oh, the SP-12s are mounted on 18” wide baffle with two 7” wings on each sice, and 4’ tall. I have a critic coming over tomorrow, perhaps I’ll get a second opinion, but right now they sound pretty darn good.

Steak Sauce is for hamburgers - not Steak! [message #18969 is a reply to message #18968] Sat, 14 October 2006 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Steve,

You have the right idea. Listen to the driver free of extraneous additions to the sound.

By the way, the M252's are now fully broke in and the midbass hump has subsided quite a bit. The sound is unique from these(6 cu' sealed), the response is decent to just barely below 40hz in this configuration.

With open baffles this high "Q" (Qts - .564) should be a great performer down to around 60hz(my guestimation). With proper placement might gain down to around 50hz.

Can't wait to hear Bill's impression of your current setup!

Regards, Ron

Re: Steak Sauce is for hamburgers - not Steak! [message #18971 is a reply to message #18969] Sat, 14 October 2006 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Sorry to say that even though we made a brave effort, we did not finish Bill's 45's today. Well, we did finish them but now have to track down some hum on one channel. He should be a happy camper by Wednesday. I will add that never again will I try to work with Cardas interconnect - that Litz wire is such a pain! Oh, and Bill, sorry again for dousing you with beer...

Re: Speakerman and steak sauce? All he eats is baloney and Wonder Bread. [message #18973 is a reply to message #18971] Sat, 14 October 2006 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Roll in to Steves at 10:30; roll out at 5.
He's goading me all day to do a lot of the wiring which is a good thing.
I get home at 6 and there's his e-mail saying the problem is fixed and the '45' amp sounds wonderful, the bastid!
But I fire up the 1812's and pour Tanqueray into a frosted glass from the freezer and all is forgiven.

Hey, the open baffles sounded really good.

Pass the steak sauce.

Re: Speakerman and steak sauce? All he eats is baloney and Wonder Bread. [message #18974 is a reply to message #18973] Sun, 15 October 2006 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds great! I envy you!

One of these days, we gotta get the Ohio gang together with the Texas and Oklahoma guys. I'd love to hang out with you guys again and see and hear this cool stuff you're building! 2003 MAF was great, but it's been too long, we gotta do it again.

Where's Mike Baker these days? Anyone hear from him?

Re: Speakerman and steak sauce? All he eats is baloney and Wonder Bread. [message #18975 is a reply to message #18974] Mon, 16 October 2006 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,

Mike Baker is enjoying his JBL Performance series home theater setup, running a portable video show and some DJ work on the side.

I hope to see him soon during a visit to pick up some reconed speakers when they are done!

Maybe he will chime in here for a short chat!

Ron

Re: Speakerman and steak sauce? All he eats is baloney and Wonder Bread. [message #18976 is a reply to message #18975] Mon, 16 October 2006 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
I'm still alive. No DJ'ing, but yes, doing my big outdoor movie screen, using lots of JBL Pro stuff, having fun. Enjoying a new HD projector downstairs, with the Performance Series Ron mentioned. Also just now got JBL sub1500 sub cabs finished and installed. Nice units. We don't have photo hosting on here??

Re: Steak Sauce [message #18978 is a reply to message #18968] Mon, 16 October 2006 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Okay, I'm coming in late here; are we talking about IB or about a driver in a box with no back on it?

Re: Steak Sauce [message #18979 is a reply to message #18978] Tue, 17 October 2006 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
The EV's are on an open baffle with short "wings". The bass speakers are in an open back box, about 16" deep, w/damping material on the walls.

Re: Speakerman and steak sauce? All he eats is baloney and Wonder Bread. [message #18980 is a reply to message #18976] Tue, 17 October 2006 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Good to see you, Mike. We're trying to do what you did at MAF in this part of the country these days. We did a couple years of GPAF in Tulsa and now we've morphed into the LSAF so next May we'll be in Dallas. I did most of the leg work the first couple years but next year I'm getting a lot of help from the Texas audio clubs.

Love those JBL parts, always did. Had a chance to measure a JBL SRX 728S at the Prosound Shootout recently. Excellent subwoofer.

Previous Topic: Full range for the beach
Next Topic: My University UC-153 drivers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:30:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout