Home » Audio » Speaker » Vintage RCA LC9A's Horn Speakers
Vintage RCA LC9A's Horn Speakers [message #18850] Thu, 24 August 2006 11:34 Go to next message
thetubeguy1954 is currently offline  thetubeguy1954
Chancellor

Hello All,

I thought I'd display a picture of my new "babies" a pair of RCA LC9A's I recently acquired. These are very, very rare. The estimate is that somewhere between 100-300 pairs were all that was ever made. Doing an internet search reveals very little information on these speakers. I cannot imagine how many of those original 100-300 pairs are still existing today.

This was RCA's answer to Altec's VOTT. IMHO they look a lot nicer and it's said that they sound a lot nicer as well! Unfortunately they were so expensive to build even back some 40-50 years ago that their price kept them from being able to really compete with the Altec VOTT in the market place. So it was $$$$$ not looks or sound quality that kept them from being better well known.

I'll be installing a pair of Paul Butterfield restored & modified pre-1990 TAD 2001's to use in the upper mid/tweeter horns and a pair of custom designed TC Sounds 15" woofers that were made to Jon Lane's (of Jon Lane Designs) specs, I though all I needed was a good working crossover. But much to my surprise when I opened the speakers up the original crossovers were inside and working!

So I'm going to start by refinishing the cabinets. When that's complete I'll be installing the drivers, listening and then should there be an efficiency mis-match (thanks to Christopher Witmer suggestion) I'll use an autoformers, which would be placed between the crossover and the horn driver, so the crossover itself would not need to be modified.

This will keep the original crossover as is and the outputs from the woofer and horn would be evenly matched.

Any comments, suggestions etc?

Thetubeguy1954

Pretty [message #18853 is a reply to message #18850] Thu, 24 August 2006 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Vert nice. I would bet less than 25 pairs survive today, and 24 of them are in the Far East.....Colin

Re: Vintage RCA LC9A's Horn Speakers [message #18854 is a reply to message #18850] Thu, 24 August 2006 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent! Those are really something. We can always build new stuff, but we can't replace vintage gear - Once it's gone, it's gone. You have a great pair of horns there, definitely some audio history!

Re: Vintage RCA LC9A's Horn Speakers [message #18857 is a reply to message #18854] Sat, 26 August 2006 03:46 Go to previous message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Maybe you should write to Jonathan Weiss about them.

jonathan@oswaldsmill.com

Previous Topic: DIY Open Baffle
Next Topic: Is possible "near field" bass response using only 4 drivers ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 07:48:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio