Home » Audio » Speaker » And now for something completely different ......
And now for something completely different ...... [message #18496] Sat, 28 January 2006 09:53 Go to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
..... at least for me. Not a TL this time.

(Trivia question : What TV show did that line come from? You will show your age with the answer.)

Thought I would share my latest project, my son and I wired it up last weekend and it has been tweaked several times during the past few days.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/OB_Wings_Back.jpg

http://www.quarter-wave.com/OB_Wings_Out.jpg

This is an OB system (48" tall x 60" wide with the wings out) using either the Lowther PM2C, PM2A, or DX4 driver and two Dayton 15" high efficiency woofers (JBL 2226 clones) per side. I am using a DBX DriveRack PA digital crossover, the woofers roll off at 120 Hz 12 dB/octave and the Lowthers roll in at 120 Hz 24 dB/octave, and two Rotel RB-1080 200 watt amps.

All solid state and no passive BSC filter required. My calculations indicate the efficiency is about 98 dB/w/m and reasonably flat above 50 Hz. Decent bass into the 30 Hz range but no measurements yet to prove any of these numbers.

This is a very efficient system and even at fairly loud volumes the drivers barely move, you have to touch them to convince yourself they are connected. Great dynamics and bass. Best reproduction of a kick drum that I have heard from any of my own speaker designs, they can move a lot of air. Very similar sound to my Lowther ML TL design but with better bottom end, no big surprise I guess.

More details to come on my web site when I am done tweaking and find time to documented the project,

Martin

Cool! [message #18497 is a reply to message #18496] Sat, 28 January 2006 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll bet they sound great. Swap in some JBL 2226's sometime, tell us what you think.

Hey, you coming to the Great Plains Audiofest this year? We'd all love to see you there!

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Re: Cool! [message #18498 is a reply to message #18497] Sat, 28 January 2006 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks Wayne, they are very impressive. My wife hates them!

I looked very hard at the JBLs, these Dayton drivers had identical specs right down to moving mass, BL, and efficiency for less than half the price. I think I got four drivers for the price of one JBL and the construction and consistency between units is very impressive. So for frequencies below 200 Hz, I did not feel I was loosing anything with the Daytons.

GPAF? Would love to come and hear eveything, meet the people on the forum, and discuss audio and music. But that is just too far from home at this time. Maybe someday but not this year.

Martin

Re: Cool! [message #18499 is a reply to message #18498] Sat, 28 January 2006 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We'll miss you, and hope to see you next year.

Re: And now for something completely different ...... [message #18500 is a reply to message #18496] Sat, 28 January 2006 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Monty Python.

Re: And now for something completely different ...... [message #18502 is a reply to message #18496] Sat, 28 January 2006 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Martin,
Cool.
Welome to the world of the Orions. You may want to check out the Linkwitz web site. I think the Orions are the best design I have seen, other than the Klipschorn (for 1948).
-akhilesh

Re: And now for something completely different ...... [message #18503 is a reply to message #18502] Sun, 29 January 2006 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi akhilesh,

"You may want to check out the Linkwitz web site."

I have visited Linkwitz web site in the past and read through the sections he has presented on his designs. He has a lot of interesting things to say and obviously is an expert in his field.

But as usual, I wanted to reinvent and try to learn everything for myself. I wrote the MathCad worksheets needed to design my OB system taking into account the driver parameters, the crossover (assumed active), the position and number of drivers on the baffle, the driver's directivity, the size and shape of the baffle, and the reflections with the floor. Spent a few months working on this and coming up with the design I built. Seems to work well and I am having a lot of fun adjusting the crossover to hear the effects.

This is an experiment and learning experience so we will see how long they last or how long my wife tolerates them.

Martin

LF driver [message #18505 is a reply to message #18496] Sun, 29 January 2006 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Do you have the exact part number for the woofer? I've looked at the 2226's, but I just cannot justify the price for my modest needs.....TIA, Colin

Re: LF driver [message #18506 is a reply to message #18505] Sun, 29 January 2006 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
The part number at Parts Express is 295-080.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-080

I bought them a few years ago for a different project that did not get built. The T/S para,eters on the PE site have chnaged a little but not enough to matter.

Martin

Re: LF driver [message #18507 is a reply to message #18506] Sun, 29 January 2006 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks, Luckily for me I live two exits south of PE, about a 15 minute drive door-to-door. I will certaibly look for these at their next tent sale.

Did you ever try an MTM instead of an TMM configuration?

I look forward to the writeup on this project......Colin

Previous Topic: Vintage speakers vs. modern
Next Topic: magnets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 04:43:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers