Home » Audio » Speaker » Horn Mouth Diffraction
Horn Mouth Diffraction [message #18159] Wed, 05 October 2005 19:59 Go to next message
M is currently offline  M
Chancellor
Dear all,

It is rather well understood that a finite aperture of a horn/wave-guide causes diffraction effects, [1]. However, neither this reference nor another paper [2], which at least tangentially touches on this issue, gives any insight on computation of a mouth shape that would give an optimal (whatever the criteria) diffraction.

I am also aware of the work of Jean Michel Le Cleac'h [3], but this appears to be concerned with the entire horn contour, and not only the mouth shape. As such, it appears inapplicable to a situations, where a horn contour is pre-determined, e.g., constant directivity.

I would appreciate if anyone, who aware of any theory/papers/software dealing with this issue, could post references.

Thank you,

M

[1] Geddes, E., R.: "Sound Radiation from Acoustic Apertures." JAES., vol. 41, pp. 214-23 (April 1993)
[2] Henwood, D.J.: "The Boundary element method and Horn Design, JAES, vol. 41, pp. 485-496 (June 1993)
[3] http://ndaviden.club.fr/pavillon/lecleach.htm

Re: Horn Mouth Diffraction [message #18160 is a reply to message #18159] Thu, 06 October 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I was going to suggest Geddes, but see you already have the reference. Seems like you have a pretty good handle on the issue.

Maybe I've over-simplified the problem, but I've always been of the opinion that an oversized horn is a solution because the mouth is larger than the wavelengths involved. Of course, this is an impossible proposition in many cases, or at least an impractical one. But for home hifi use, where room boundaries can be exploited, you can take advantage of the walls as flare extenders if you can get the mouths close enough. So for LF and MF frequencies where size matters, the expansion from a corner can reduce edge diffraction by effectively extending the flare. And for HF frequencies, the wavelengths are small enough that you can make the horn large enough to reduce edge diffraction.

Re: Horn Mouth Diffraction [message #18161 is a reply to message #18159] Thu, 06 October 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
M,

I include diffraction around the perimeter of the horn's mouth in both of my latest front and back loaded horn MathCad worksheets. These worksheet are not the ones currently available for downloading form my site. It is a similar calculation that is done by the EDGE program with one exception. When the bottom edge of the horn is in contact with the floor, then it bcomes both a diffraction and a reflection problem. Some typical results can be seen in my advanced back loaded horn design documentation. I am still working on the technique so I expect further revisions will be coming.

Martin

Re: Horn Mouth Diffraction [message #18162 is a reply to message #18160] Thu, 06 October 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Dear Wayne,

thank you for your time replying.

The problem with an oversized horn, as I understand it, is that the frequency of the on axis "hole" moves down. Because it is a phenomenon with harmonics, this results in more of these "holes" in the passband.

M

Re: Horn Mouth Diffraction [message #18163 is a reply to message #18161] Thu, 06 October 2005 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Dear Martin,

thank you for your time replying.

I am well aware of your "released" MathCad worksheets. I am also familiar with EDGE, but I am unaware of its ability to model other than a flat baffle. If you understand, how to do that, could you please give me a hint?

I am wondering if I could be your "guinea pig" for your diffraction solution, either by letting me have the MathCad worksheets or calculate a solution for me, which I would reciprocate by providing you with measurements.

If my suggestion is unreasonable, please cheerfully ignore it. As an Intellectual Property practitioner, I understand your ownership concerns; otherwise, please contact me at mefistofelez_at_hotmail_dot_com.

Thank you,

M

Re: Horn Mouth Diffraction [message #18164 is a reply to message #18162] Thu, 06 October 2005 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I am not aware of any such phenomenon. Can you post some references?

Re: Horn Mouth Diffraction [message #18165 is a reply to message #18164] Thu, 06 October 2005 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Dear Wayne,

[1] Geddes, E., R.: "Acoustic Waveguide Theory revisited." JAES., vol. 41, pp. 452-461 (June 1993). See Section 3.5. The equation introduced there and its implication are treated in:

[2] Geddes, E., R.: "Sound Radiation from Acoustic Apertures." JAES., vol. 41, pp. 214-23 (April 1993). See in particular Section 6; the conclusion in the first paragraph.

M

Re: Horn Mouth Diffraction [message #18166 is a reply to message #18163] Thu, 06 October 2005 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
M,

Looking at the EDGE again I think I was in error. My MathCad worksheets use the same basic math as the EDGE but can handle both rectangular and circular sources and baffles. So modelling a round or rectanguler horn mouth and baffle is easily done. I don't think the EDGE will do those combinations. I used the EDGE as a double check of my algorithm using sample problems.

As far as rounded edges on baffles, I do not believe that exact modelling of this is needed. There are two effects from the baffle, the baffle step as the sound radiated transitions from 4 pi to 2 pi and the sound "scattering" at the edge itself. The second effect produces small wiggles in the SPL plot. I do not believe that these small wiggles are as significant as room effects or the baffle step response. Maybe this is because I use full range drivers that are starting to beam at these same frequencies so the impact of the edge sharpness/radius is minimal.

Thanks for the offer of help with the horn worksheets. At this time I am pursuing a design and test of my own and have decided to hold onto the worksheets and the test results until I decide what I want to make available.

Martin

Re: Horn Mouth Diffraction [message #18167 is a reply to message #18166] Thu, 06 October 2005 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Dear Martin,

you wrote:

"As far as rounded edges on baffles, I do not believe that exact modelling of this is needed. There are two effects from the baffle, the baffle step as the sound radiated transitions from 4 pi to 2 pi and the sound "scattering" at the edge itself. The second effect produces small wiggles in the SPL plot. I do not believe that these small wiggles are as significant as room effects or the baffle step response. Maybe this is because I use full range drivers that are starting to beam at these same frequencies so the impact of the edge sharpness/radius is minimal."

This is my understanding, and please correct me, if I am wrong. There are (at least) two consequences associated with the transition from the boundary formed by a horn or a cone driver.

A transition from the boundary constrained space to a 2 pi (if mounted on a baffle) or 4 pi (if radiating to free space), which is characterized by impedance mismatch, reflections, and resulting standing waves (ripples).

The second is diffraction on the edge of the boundary. Invoking Huygens'principle, the wave emanating from the boundary restricted space will interfere with the wave emanating from the edge of the boundary.

I have an idea how to deal with the first one. Whether I am correct is to be seen. However, I am at loss how to deal with the other one, if I esclude various rules of a thumb. I understand that I am making a heuristic argument here, but it appears to me, that by a "proper" shape of the edge of the boundary, the interference could be minimized.

You wrote:

"Thanks for the offer of help with the horn worksheets."

ROTFLMAO. You are very polite, you know, where my motivation was comming from.

You wrote:

". . . and have decided to hold onto the worksheets and the test results until I decide what I want to make available."

No problem at all, see my previous post. I would like to nominate myself as a beta tester, though.

M

Re: Horn Mouth Diffraction [message #18168 is a reply to message #18166] Thu, 06 October 2005 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
Dear Martin,

I have completely forgotten to add that the second phenomenon of my message is eloquently described in your "Design of a Front Loaded Exponential Horn" paper, p. 7, last two paragraphs.

M

Previous Topic: Advice on choosing best dsp to be programable for use with acoustical arrays
Next Topic: Thoughts for Steve's Speaker Plan
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 16:56:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout