Home » Audio » General » My report on GPAF 2005
My report on GPAF 2005 [message #1587] Wed, 04 May 2005 13:12 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Full report at:
http://nfp.cba.utulsa.edu/bajaja/FreeAudioReviews/Reviews/AudioMeets/GPAF2005/ReviewGPAF2005.htm

I will add pics too.
-akhilesh

Re: My report on GPAF 2005 [message #1594 is a reply to message #1587] Wed, 04 May 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guitarplayer is currently offline  guitarplayer
Baron
Nice job. It was a pleasure to meet you although we didn't get to chat much...perhaps next year.

Regards!

Lee

Re: My report on GPAF 2005 [message #1598 is a reply to message #1587] Wed, 04 May 2005 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was pleasantly surprised to see your review site. This is so badly needed. With so many products offered over the internet and no chance to audition them it's important to read an objective review before pressing the "buy" button. The current sources for reviews are the audio magazines like Stereophile and TAS, which seldom review non-mainstream products and are heavily biased in favor of their advertisers' products, and current owners, who tend to be even more biased. I'm looking forward to reading more reviews as you are able to do them.

Re: My report on GPAF 2005 [message #1600 is a reply to message #1587] Wed, 04 May 2005 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3moons is currently offline  3moons
Baron
Hi Akhilesh, Your reviews and opinions followed mine very closely. Great stuff! I would say that, huh? There is one mistake in that I did NOT create fmtunerinfo.com The short story is Eric met Bob. Eric met Jim. Eric introduced Bob and Jim and the rest is history. Everything fell into place. The long history and links below. I loved the show and all the folks I met. I'll be there next year. Maybe with a room. jim...
http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FMtuners/ 3100 members in our FM Tuner group and growing.

Bob (Bob's Filter Corner; Jim and Bob's DIY Mods; 600T vs. KT-917; Tube Tuners; Review Panelist [BF]): Bob has been an FM audio enthusiast since the early '70s, when he set up a rotating antenna in the attic to receive FM stations from NYC to Philly. He is a DIY builder/modifier of everything related to audio reproduction, tube and solid state, analog and digital, and a tuner collector who owns many of the better vintage tube and solid-state units (more than 50 tuners at last count). Bob also has an FM tuner alignment lab for IF filter matching and tuner testing/alignment. His main listening system includes Rega Planar 3 turntable, heavily modded transport/DAC, 6SN7 triode preamp, PP EL 34 UL amp driving Magnaplanar 1.6QR speakers, and an Antenna Performance Specialties APS-9 with rotator in the attic. Bob has 20 years of experience in audio and RF measurements from working at major Test and Measurement companies. He lives in northeast New York.
Jim (Jim and Bob's DIY Mods; Shootouts; Tuner Lamp Information Center; Review Panelist [JR]): Age 59, audiophile. "Audio crazy for well over 40 years. I never got over my amazement of hearing stereo for the first time. It was an LP on a vacuum tube phono/receiver setup. My hobby: listening to music, tube audio repair and homemade DIY audio projects since 1988. My DIY knowledge of FM tuners has grown tremendously since the formation of TIC and the knowledge shared here." Jim's main Shootout review system includes a line stage using 6CG7 tubes and HEXFETs in a mu follower type circuit designed by Alan Kimmel. The amps are homemade using Chicago power and choke transformers. The output transformers are Acrosound TO-300s, the drivers are 6SN7 tubes and the output tubes are 7027As. The amp circuit was designed by Walter Delesandri. All of the above built from scratch. Favorite FM tuner varies from week to week with 100-plus to choose from in the Texas warehouse. The Kenwood L-02T is the Shootout standard all tuners must measure up to. Other equipment includes Pioneer DVD as a transport into a Scott Nixon zero sampling tube DAC, JMlab Daline 3.1 speakers, and Antenna Performance Specialties APS-9 15 feet above a one-story home, with a Radio Shack rotator. Enjoys being called a GESR (Golden-Eared Subjective Reporter) and Tube Hugger. Jim lives in the suburbs in north Texas.

Eric (Editor/Webmaster; Review Panelist [EF]): Eric has been an FM DXer for more than 25 years, and a tuner collector and filter modder since 2000. Inspired by Ed Hanlon's discussion of modified Kenwood and Sansui tuners on the WTFDA listserv, Eric discovered eBay and went on a year-long tuner-buying binge. He met Jim while buying a KT-7500 from him, and met Bob when he emailed Eric asking about a filter-modded tuner that Eric was selling. Eric then electronically introduced the two DIY audiophiles and the three of them joined forces to launch TIC in September, 2001. Eric's equipment includes a rotating cast of 15 or 20 tuners, with a Bob-modified Kenwood 600T and Jim-modified Sansui TU-710 as his primary "listening" tuners and self-modded Onkyo T-9090 and Yamaha T-85 digitals for DXing; an assortment of insignificant amps and bookshelf speakers (he's no audiophile); and an Antenna Performance Specialties APS-9A with Radio Shack rotator in the attic at 26' AGL. Eric lives in a suburb of New York City.

Re: My report on GPAF 2005 [message #1603 is a reply to message #1587] Wed, 04 May 2005 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Great review, thanks! I like to read the comments from you, Barry, Russ and the others that were there because you guys give us the unbiased views. I'm an exhibitor, so I can post some pics and say a few things, but my opinions are decidedly biased. I was thinking about doing a glowing review of my speakers, but somehow, I don't think it will fly.

Re: My report on GPAF 2005 [message #1604 is a reply to message #1600] Wed, 04 May 2005 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for the bios, Jim, interesting!

Re: My report on GPAF 2005 [message #1612 is a reply to message #1587] Wed, 04 May 2005 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Great site and review Akilesh,it was nice to finally meet you.
I am looking forward to the next GPAG meeting and listening to the Audio Note goodies that will be sent for audition.
Norris Wilson

Re: My report on GPAF 2005 [message #1615 is a reply to message #1612] Thu, 05 May 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks Norris.It was great to meet you as well! See you soon.
-akhilesh

Re: My report on GPAF 2005 [message #1616 is a reply to message #1603] Thu, 05 May 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks Wayne. Your speakers are damn good. The 3 - ways are pretty much top of the heap, and the 2 ways you showed are great too.
And I say this in an unbiased way, not 'cos we are friends.
-akhilesh

Re: My report on GPAF 2005 [message #1617 is a reply to message #1600] Thu, 05 May 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Jim,
Thanks for the bios. Very interesting. I knew you were one of the major forces behind fmtunerinfo, so i will modify my review to state that. It was great to meet you, and hope to see you at the next one !
I'm planning to get a room too for some of my stuff.
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Deeply sorry not to be with you !
Next Topic: November 2005 Vacuum Tube Valley Southern California Audio Festival
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:56:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout