Home » Audio » Speaker » Horn length (revisited)
Horn length (revisited) [message #17016] Sun, 03 October 2004 09:26 Go to next message
Kevin Jordan is currently offline  Kevin Jordan
Chancellor
I am still looking for ways to make small basshorns. I thought maybe I could
make a foreshortened horn as long as it would be used with others in groups.
Then I considered making them long and thin but that is more of a TL pipe,
with main peak output at 1/4wl. Now I am thinking maybe there is no
free lunch. Is there no other way to make basshorns but big?
Rgs,
Kevin

Horn Mouths [message #17019 is a reply to message #17016] Sun, 03 October 2004 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Theres no way to make a basshorn small

All you can do is make it highly compromised

I wouldnt shorten a horn in groups youl miss your lows
- i would make the mouth smaller. That way the mouths will add when placed in close proximity.

You can compromise a basshorn down to using an 8" Peerless Csx on a 135litre 104db/1watt basshorn(50hz loading) But thats about it !

To get higher output,more larger capable driver.. eg Csx 10" or lab12 on 300litre horn with 2600cm^2 mouth for 50hz..

Cheers!

Re: Horn Mouths [message #17021 is a reply to message #17019] Mon, 04 October 2004 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
'Theres no way to make a basshorn small'

Depends what you call small. Using room reinforcement (and if your speaker is in a room why aren't you?) you can get down to the 3.5-4 cubic foot range with useable response to 25Hz no problem. You do have to keep the pathway long, which means a small mouth, and you have to toss the 'old school' reliance on hypex tapers. When 'going by the book' doesn't work sometimes you just have to write a new book.

Re: Horn Mouths [message #17023 is a reply to message #17021] Mon, 04 October 2004 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
25hz from a 3.5 cubic foot horn!!!! That's what I want!
I think the throat entrance would need to be the size of a drinking straw though.
Are you sure there is a high power driver that can do bass through a throat this small?
Rgs,
Kevin

Re: Horn Mouths [message #17039 is a reply to message #17023] Tue, 05 October 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
It's the MCM 55-2421 and one is sitting in my AutoTuba. Power is limited to 100 watts, so it can only get to 115dB at 25Hz, but I find that's quite sufficient in my livingroom. Throat size is 20 sq.in.

Re: Horn Mouths [message #17042 is a reply to message #17039] Tue, 05 October 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thank you.

Re: Horn length (revisited) [message #17052 is a reply to message #17016] Wed, 06 October 2004 09:33 Go to previous message
Oberon is currently offline  Oberon
Chancellor
Horns *can* be made smaller in some situations, and use in groups is one of them. Venue is very important, as the correct size can vary as much as 10X depending on usage.

There is a common misunderstanding that horns must be 1/4 wave long and mouth area must be 1/4 wavelength in circumference. This is only a rule of thumb. If a horn is flown alone, that's true, and length should really be 1/2 wave. However, that is rarely the case and almost never for basshorns.

Basshorns are almost always used on the ground, which cuts these values in half. Use a pair of basshorns on the ground and the size is cut by 1/4. In fact, the most common basshorn is actually 1/8th size. It is smaller both in length and in area. If used in groups, 1/8 size horn is all you need. This will be both shorter in path length and smaller in mouth size than 1/4 wave.

Previous Topic: Eminence chrome label
Next Topic: JBL 2380 clones?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:03:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout