Home » Audio » Speaker » ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers
ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers [message #17015] Sat, 02 October 2004 03:51 Go to next message
Eric Mainardi is currently offline  Eric Mainardi
Chancellor
Hello everyone,

For those who are looking for information or advise concerning ELECTRO-VOICE vintage speakers, don't hesitate to ask me : I have a comprehensive data base concerning all E-V components back to the 60s (data sheet, plans, reports)

EM

Re: ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers [message #17058 is a reply to message #17015] Thu, 07 October 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
Amazing! I was just about to ask an EV question, and here you are. . . .

I have a single Senior Centurion and I'm thinking of using the 15W woofer as the sub in a home theatre system. Do you have the specs on this driver and/or plans for a suitable enclosure?

I had to shed the outer enclosure in a recent move, and would like to start over in a new woofer only enclosure.

ELECTRO-VOICE 15W speaker [message #17061 is a reply to message #17058] Thu, 07 October 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hello,

I have checked with my documents. I don't have the specs concerning the 15W, which was discontinued in the 60s.
But you can get some interesting information from the attached link
My advice is that this speaker is nearly 40 years old, and so even if you got the original specs from E-V they would be wrong because of the ageing of the suspension, alnico magnet, etc ! But it remains an outstanding speaker.
TMHO, the smart solution is to make the today's T/S par. measurement of your 15W with modern tools or according the method you can find everywhere on the web, and use them for your enclosure calculation.
Take care,
ERIC

Re: ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers [message #17129 is a reply to message #17015] Tue, 26 October 2004 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete McK is currently offline  Pete McK
Esquire
Hi Eric,

I've got some old info on EV35-t tweeters, but they quote the sensitivity as 60dB, using some old standard (EIA?).
Do you know how to convert to today's measurements?

Thanks,
Pete McKelvie

Re: ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers [message #17130 is a reply to message #17129] Wed, 27 October 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hello PETE,

E-V T35 :
The earlier T35 version came with an ALNICO magnet, 16ohm impedance and 57dB EIA sensitivity rating.
Later (end of 60's) was introduced the T35A with 8ohm impedance and still 57dB EIA sensitivity.
In the beginning of 70's, E-V documents change EIA sensitivity to standardized sensitivity and so rated T35A with 104dB @ 1W @ 1m .
2 versions : ALNICO round magnet and later CERAMIC rectangular magnet (1978) with same given characteristics.
This is valid of course for recent speakers. Due to ageing of alnico magnets, the sensitivity of your T35s should be slightly less now, if older than let's say 10 years.
Best regards,
ERIC

Re: ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers [message #17131 is a reply to message #17130] Wed, 27 October 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
JBL used a similar sensitivity figure until the 1980's also. They measured at 30 feet with 1mW input, warbling through 2.5 octaves in the passband. I believe the EIA spec defined a 1kHz tone, so this was a slight deviation.

Re: ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers [message #17134 is a reply to message #17130] Wed, 27 October 2004 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete McK is currently offline  Pete McK
Esquire
Thanks Eric,
wow, I didn't think they'd be so hot!!
mine are the ceramic version.
I just have to find some mid/bass speakers to match them with.

Do you have any opinion on which way to orient them?
In the early lit, EV were saying the long axis should be vertical,
but Klipsch used them horizontal...

Cheers,
Pete McK

Re: ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers [message #17135 is a reply to message #17131] Thu, 28 October 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I suppose you mean 3 feet (= 1m) @ 1W...

Re: ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers [message #17136 is a reply to message #17135] Thu, 28 October 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
No, the old metric was 1mW at 30 feet. Some used a single 1kHz tone but JBL warbled through 2.5 octaves.

Re: ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers [message #17138 is a reply to message #17134] Thu, 28 October 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
Matching speaker : T35A is really useable from 4kHz according to E-V
(if not to say 5 or 6kHz). First you have to determine if you go for a 2 or 3-way system, and then to choose a speaker.
My advice : if you wish to keep the E-V "spirit" try to find the E-V midrange kit (1824M driver + 8HD horn) and a good E-V 12" (EVM12) or 15" (EVM15). Compute the crossover by yourself and adjust time alignment. This will be a real high efficiency system that will work amazingly well.
If you prefer something easier to set up, try a full range FOSTEX like the FE208A. 2-way without mess.
But there is many other satisfying speakers on the market.
Horn direction : The T35A horn is of diffraction type and normally should be used vertically according E-V principles, giving a better
horizontal dispersion. KLIPSCH preferred to mount it horizontally. Probably for easier mounting and because it doesn't matter with domestic use. So don't worry and do according your taste.
Best regards,
ERIC

Previous Topic: Ping: Jim Griffin - DIY Atlanta speaker
Next Topic: Looking for Great Speaker Designs (appearance only)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:30:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio