Home » Audio » Speaker » Line array driven as a phased array to create directionality?
Line array driven as a phased array to create directionality? [message #16875] Sun, 22 August 2004 16:27 Go to next message
Magnus is currently offline  Magnus
Baron
This question really belongs in the Line Array section but since my question is targeted mainly at Bill Fitzmaurice and pro audio I post it here.

Bill (or anybody else), do you know if their have been any use of line arrays driven as a phased array in pro audio to create an intentional controlled directivity, like for a phased array radio antenna or ultrasonic imaging transducer?

/Magnus

See Duran Audio's Intellivox systems [message #16877 is a reply to message #16875] Sun, 22 August 2004 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hallowed Sound is currently offline  Hallowed Sound
Esquire
Here's a link to a PDF:

Re: See Duran Audio's Intellivox systems [message #16879 is a reply to message #16877] Sun, 22 August 2004 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's a great link, you might have noticed it in the Array Speakers forum. Here are a few others:

• Interesting articles
  • Fresnel and fibonacci line array systems
  • Array types
  • Driver Center to Center Spacing for Line Arrays

• Re: See Duran Audio's Intellivox systems [message #16880 is a reply to message #16879] Sun, 22 August 2004 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Hallowed Sound is currently offline  Hallowed Sound
    Esquire
    No, I didn't see your post but am glad to see them mentioned. Duran Audio is known around the world but I don't see much about them in the US, at least not on the web. Their work on directional control, intelligibility and DSP beam steering is the best in the world, IMHO.

Re: See Duran Audio's Intellivox systems [message #16881 is a reply to message #16877] Mon, 23 August 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Magnus is currently offline  Magnus
    Baron
    Thanks for the links. Looks like I should have done my homework in the line array section =)

/Magnus

Pro Audio Arrays [message #16882 is a reply to message #16880] Mon, 23 August 2004 07:34 Go to previous message
    Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
    Grand Master
    In the large scale pro-audio format that I deal with arrays consist of a number of boxes, usually eight cabinets per stack, running from 12 to 16 feet total height. You can achieve a very high degree of directional control in the vertical plane based on the way the cabinets are splayed. What is paramount is achieving a balanced SPL in the audience, and this can be accomplished quite well even with throws on the order of 300 to 400 feet. One of the the best sources to see what can be accomplished is the EAW site, where you can download for free the program that they use for setting up their arrays in various size and shape venues.

Previous Topic: Electro Voice EV15L
    Next Topic: Thinking inside the box
    Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:48:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
    DIY Audio Projects
    OddWatt Audio
    OddWatt Audio
    Pi Speakers
    Pi Speakers
    Prosound Shootout