Home » Audio » Speaker » Electro Voice EV15L
Electro Voice EV15L [message #16839] Tue, 17 August 2004 13:48 Go to next message
Cowan is currently offline  Cowan
Esquire
I just bought a pair of mint EV15L speakers, boy what a find. I'm having a hard time deciding what kind of speaker to use them in. What were they originally used in?

Re: Electro Voice EV15L - Check here [message #16840 is a reply to message #16839] Wed, 18 August 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
http://www.geocities.com/tadgesualdo/12trxbwebsite.html

Re: Electro Voice EV15L - Check here [message #16842 is a reply to message #16840] Wed, 18 August 2004 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cowan is currently offline  Cowan
Esquire
Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for!

What do you want to do with them? [message #16845 is a reply to message #16842] Thu, 19 August 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
The EVM15L is the Electro Voice Music(Instrument)Lead: an electric lead guitar speaker. Great sensitivity, very wide range- and not much good below 80 Hz unless you put it into a pretty good sized horn. Whether or not they're usable for you is very much usage determined. Fabulous for lead guitar, very good for large format PA, especially when horn loaded, but easily surpassed by other options in hi-fi/HT applications. Almost useless as a true woofer.

au contraire ...try karlson [message #16846 is a reply to message #16845] Thu, 19 August 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzamongo is currently offline  gazzamongo
Chancellor

thunderous bass (super agile mid bass too) with evm15l's in my k15 karlsons...and that's with a teeny-tiny 15w.p.c brit' amp (naim nait)

give em a try ...you might just like them

gary

also...are they not the prefered driver for the edgarhorn 100 hz mid bass horn (obviously sub reqd with this one), so that another useful design to use them with

Re: au contraire ...try karlson [message #16849 is a reply to message #16846] Fri, 20 August 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Of course I can't say without measuring them, but I doubt that your Karlsons do much below 50Hz. Nothing wrong with that of course, and they will be pretty efficient with that driver, but nowadays it's more or less expected that a fifteen would go down to the 30s at least, and an EVM15L just doesn't have that ability without being in a big horn. And yes, it works great in a 100 Hz horn, but again that chore is just as easily accomplished with an eight in a far smaller box. Don't get me wrong, the 15L is a great driver, but one can achieve a very adequate level of performance with a much smaller driver and a much smaller box to put it in. I haven't used a driver larger than a twelve for ten years in pro-sound applications,let alone hi-fi/HT.

i admit karlson are wierd [message #16850 is a reply to message #16849] Fri, 20 August 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

but in room, generating tones on true rta they seem solid to below 40 hz before amplitude begins to dip and still have good output to around 35hz and seem to load the cone very well with little cone movement at kidney massaging levels

i realize thats very subjective as far as empirical evidence goes and would love to properly test the in room response, but the real point of the post was that this driver will definately not sound bass light in this cabinet and imho it would be as shame if the poster did not give karlsons a try as they are an easy build and he now owns some of the best drivers for them. i'll bet a bass reflex with this driver would be no competition

nothin to lose but time, money and plywood

gazza

Not all that weird [message #16862 is a reply to message #16850] Sat, 21 August 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
A Karlson is simply a series tuned dual chamber reflex, though the funky exponential port on the front chamber makes it appear to be something more complex than that. Even Karlson himself didn't really know what it was he'd created, understandably so since it predated T/S by some 15 years or so. He called it a horn, which it clearly is not. He also made some claims for its frequency response that were optimistic at best, questionable at least.

With music program it isn't bass light, for the simple reason that with music program the greatest amount of bass energy lies from 60 to 100 Hz, and in that zone a Karlson loaded with a 15L works quite well, though a 15B would be a bit better, and an E140 better still. It's enjoys a following as an electric bass cabinet for just that reason. Where it falls short is in HT use, where there can be a lot of effect content in the 30-60 Hz range, and with a low Qts/high Fs MI driver it just doesn't work well down there. With some tuning it could be interesting with a modern sub driver.

Re: Not all that weird [message #16865 is a reply to message #16862] Sat, 21 August 2004 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jbarlow is currently offline  jbarlow
Esquire
How would you say a Karlson compares to a horn?

lab12? [message #16867 is a reply to message #16862] Sun, 22 August 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
hi bill,

you know what, the karlson forum would be whooping with joy if someone with the know-how could optimise a sub bass version of the karlson cab with say a.........lab 12

are you the 'man that can'?

cheers anyway

gazza

Previous Topic: Speaker efficiency?
Next Topic: Line array driven as a phased array to create directionality?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 11:05:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio