Home » Audio » Speaker » sub horn for 2240
sub horn for 2240 [message #16471] Fri, 14 May 2004 08:02 Go to next message
adavis464 is currently offline  adavis464
Viscount
Different throat size & mouth size which is correct leach or keele ?

Neither. [message #16472 is a reply to message #16471] Fri, 14 May 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
Both Leach and Keele use formulas that are neither carved in stone nor necessarily the best option for a particular application. They just represent two ways of approaching horn design. Differing goals require different ways of going about it.

Re: sub horn for 2240 [message #16473 is a reply to message #16471] Fri, 14 May 2004 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Down load a copy of this program and take both measurements and put them into the formulas, this will give you a read out of what to expect.

HTH
Bill W.

Re: Neither. [message #16476 is a reply to message #16472] Sat, 15 May 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
So what is the science ? In you speaker builder artical you us the example of breaking rule if this is true than what is the change in the science the new formulas for differant apllication.So neither is a pour answer is everyone guessing?Seeing alot of designes out there it looks like most are guessing.regards tim

There is some science, but still horns are mostly art. [message #16477 is a reply to message #16476] Sat, 15 May 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master

Download the McBean program as was suggested and you'll find that you can build virtual horns with many different parameters and get many different results. What horn you should end up building is determined by your particular needs in terms of available space, required bandwidth, desired SPL and so on. Experiment. You at least have the advantage of a computer program; I built probably 50 horns with no way of knowing how they'd work until I built them. There are many ways to build a horn, with so many permutations of both the driver specs and horn dimension specs possible that I'm sure the combinations add up to the millions.

If what you desire is a short quick answer on the 'correct' way to build a horn I'm afraid that there isn't one. I designed my first horn in 1969, and I still have not achieved the Holy Grail of the 'Perfect Horn'. Give me another 35 years and I might get close.

If you're serious about learning about horns required reading is Olsen's book on Acoustical Engineering, available through Old Colony Sound at www.audioxpress.com.

As for both Leach and Keele, according to their formulas all of the horns I've built over the last ten years, including the pictured DR250a, could not possibly work. They do work, which is why I say use the math as a guide, but not as a crutch.

Re: There is some science, but still horns are mostly art. [message #16478 is a reply to message #16477] Sat, 15 May 2004 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
That was possibly The best answer I had ever got in all the forums I've read.Everything is so much clearer just by that simple answer.Thanks I will look foward to your future articals and posts.

mcbeans prog [message #16487 is a reply to message #16478] Sun, 16 May 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Use the hypex tool first to attain a response that you want.Then minimise the parameters eg
:: make throat area 'correct' and realistic
:: make mouth area a realistic size,eg not 20,000cm^2 unless you can fit that.

play til its flat response again with Vrc and Vtc :-)

Cheers!

Re: mcbeans prog [message #16492 is a reply to message #16487] Sun, 16 May 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Useful information, but the main shortcoming of McBean is that it does not accurately predict the high-frequency cut-off point of a horn. While the low frequency Fc and SPL is useably accurate the high frequency F3 is usually stated at least a full octave lower than actual measured results. When it comes to folded horns the situation is even murkier, and that's one area where there is no substitute for experience and experimentation.

OOPs [message #16493 is a reply to message #16492] Sun, 16 May 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)

yes the HF isnt usable with this program,but this is pretty lowstuff so it didnt come to mind

:-)

Cheers

Re: OOPs [message #16495 is a reply to message #16493] Sun, 16 May 2004 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
God, Mike, how do you get those great sunset photos?

Oklahoma has some really beautiful sunsets and I have a pretty nice camera but never seem to be able to capture them like you have. Maybe the trick is to enhance the contrast?

Whatever the case, that's a beautiful sunset.

Previous Topic: One driver for FULL spectrum or one driver for critical portion of spectrum?
Next Topic: Lowther T/S Data
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:33:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout