Home » Audio » Speaker » Questions on Midrange Drivers
Questions on Midrange Drivers [message #16362] Mon, 12 April 2004 14:57 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just wondering what's available in high efficiency midrange cone drivers these days. Seems to me, small diametre cones such as 5" to 6" are pretty rare, compared to 12" or 15" cones. JBL doesn't make them anymore. Eminence only has the Alpha6. After a quick search, only Beyma and B&C makes them. Is there any reason for this trend?

I did come across the LA6's from Eminence that covers the midrange very well. Can these be used in a 3-way configuration (non-array), or is there something special about them that requires them to be in an array?

thanks,
Gar.

Re: Questions on Midrange Drivers [message #16363 is a reply to message #16362] Mon, 12 April 2004 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Its because pro/PA demands larger drivers with more power handling and output. If you look around however you can find more pro speakers which are small. P.Audio, 18-Sound, and Celestion also make 6" drivers and celestion make a 5" model as well. Radian have a high efficiency coaxial 6.5" too.

Theres nothing stopping you from using the LA Eminence drivers in a non-line array application if they will suit what you want to do with them.

Re: Questions on Midrange Drivers [message #16364 is a reply to message #16363] Mon, 12 April 2004 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
PHL also make some 6.5" pro drivers.

Also consider this: [message #16366 is a reply to message #16364] Mon, 12 April 2004 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
Most high efficiency woofers are intended for live pro-sound use, either PA, electric bass or guitar or electric keyboards. For the most part those made for guitar and bass are extended range models and normally aren't paired with midrange drivers. Those intended for PA and keys are usually crossed over at far higher frequencies than hi-fi standards, and then usually to compression horns that have even higher sensitivities than cone drivers, for maximum output capability. This leaves very little demand for high sensitivity cone midrange drivers, and as with all things if the demand isn't there the supply won't be either.

If you're looking for high SPL midranges for hi-fi use consider also full range frivers from Fostex, which make fine midranges when housed in small sealed boxes.

Re: Questions on Midrange Drivers [message #16367 is a reply to message #16363] Mon, 12 April 2004 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Adrian,

I'm glad you answered my post. I wanted to ask you about your choice of Alpha 6 for your midrange horn project. The response curve for the driver looks great. What were your reasons for choosing this cone? In your application, are you finding any limitations with this "entry-level" driver in Eminence's line, compared to their more "advanced" models?

About your first statement, that "pro/PA demands larger drivers with more power handling and output", the "more power handling and output" makes sense. But I don't see how the "larger drivers" part fits in. Can't smaller drivers be made with large power handling and output too?

Gar.

Re: Also consider this: [message #16368 is a reply to message #16366] Mon, 12 April 2004 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
That's what I figured. That the preference for Compressions for pro-use contributes to the lack of choice for high sensitivity midranges.

And yes, I am keeping an eye on the Fostex. You will see questions from me about those in the future. Just taking my time, doing research for now.

Re: Questions on Midrange Drivers [message #16369 is a reply to message #16362] Mon, 12 April 2004 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The Community M4 diaphragm is approximately 6.5" diameter. It's actually 6.65" if I remember correctly.

Re: Questions on Midrange Drivers [message #16374 is a reply to message #16367] Tue, 13 April 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Garman

I dont find the 'entry level' Alpha driver to be a shortcoming. Its because of the horn loading which makes it sound so good, a lot better than when I tested it in free air (but with no box.... making the comparison pointless). In any circumstance, horn loaded, it is the best midrange I've ever experienced. It is so clean, you can really hear the distortion reduction the horn makes, direct radiators just cannot match what a horn can do. Its very pleasant and enjoyable to listen too.

My choice on using it was mainly because it was one of the few drivers that worked in my application. Originally I had the intent to horn load a 12" driver in something like a 150Hz horn (Erik Forker's 150Hz tractrix loaded with an EV EVM12L was very appealing). Unfortunately I found that no 12" driver would reach 2KHz in a horn within +/- 3db, nor any 10" drivers really according to computer simulations (limited by bigger mass, inductance, and greater phase cancellations in front chamber because of larger path length differences inevitable on a bigger driver). I looked at some 8" drivers, some of which went a bit past 1.5KHz but was still limited. The little 6" Alpha showed the most extended HF response, and in the smallest package. I've gotten it to +/- 2.5db from 300Hz to 2KHz in my horn, something which a bigger driver wont do.

My statement about the pro drivers was just a quick general one really. As Bill pointed out it's not just a matter of needing more power and SPL, theres other reasons involved too.

As for increasing output and power handling of smaller drivers, this can be done to an extent but you also become limited with what you can do at a point. Larger drivers can have bigger voice coils (less heating for given power level and higher temperature handling), more wire on the VC, room for bigger heatsinks, etc than what a smaller driver might have. I'm talking about something like a 15" vs 6" where the differences are large. 18" vs 15" on the other hand virtually have the capabilities and the same power handling ability. It's usually larger drivers that have higher strength motors/higher efficiency and more cone area, xmax, and as I've just mentioned power handling too for more output.

It sounds like you want to use the Alpha as a direct radiator though?

Adrian

Re: Questions on Midrange Drivers [message #16375 is a reply to message #16374] Tue, 13 April 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Adrian,
>>Unfortunately I found that no 12" driver would reach 2KHz in a horn within +/- 3db, nor any 10" drivers really according to computer simulations.

I kind of have to disagree with this statement, because I have 12" drivers loaded where I hit a -3db point at 1.2K and they stay that way up to about 2Khz before they start rolling off more, approx. -6db@2.8Khz (measured on my horns) it depends the on how the horn loads the driver.
If designed right, with the right driver you can get a 12" within -3db at 2K, and with smaller drivers it's even easier to achieve.

Bill W.

Re: Questions on Midrange Drivers [message #16376 is a reply to message #16375] Tue, 13 April 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Bill

I have not investigated all 12" drivers but the ones I simulated wouldn't go. I'd imagine with a phase plug one could extend HF response pretty far though and keep it within +/- 3db.

I'd imagine a tractrix or exponential flare directly on-axis with a high DI may be able to reach 2Khz but polar response would be poor as the expense, off axis response is very important (at least to me).

What driver and horn are you running? Is response within +/-3db from lower cutoff to 2KHz? Have you got a measured response curve that you can post? Id like to see what your doing.

Adrian

Previous Topic: Need Help understanding Fostex Line.
Next Topic: lothx, cain or king?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:05:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout