Home » Audio » Speaker » FINISHED basshorn plans!
FINISHED basshorn plans! [message #16304] Thu, 08 April 2004 22:06 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Just finalized the basshorn that I will build for my 18" bass driver (18-Sound 18LW1400). Response curve 1w/1m:

Practically 25Hz response in eigth space! Its because I ended up adding a little more length to it while keeping mouth area small to get lowest Fc. Excursion is also lower now down to a lower frequency than before, more power handling and SPL :D

A linkwitz riley crossover which is -6db at the crossover point, at 70Hz will get rid of the rising response curve and make it completely flat.

Hornresp doesn't predice room nodes of course (only boundry reinforcement as extension of length and mouth area) so I might get more bass than in the above graph.

2.80m long, 2000cm^2 mouth. Close approximation of real exponential flare (areas correct for expo). Schematic:

All wood is MDF, 25mm thick (=1"). External dimensions inc wood thickness is 100cm deep, 109.25cm high, and 53cm wide. Compact by my book :D

The 18LW1400 has a very stiff cone so it wont self destruct from throat pressure like some drivers do. Bassmaxx have also done work with the 18LW1400 and it survived all the tests, while other drivers the cones just crush (eg: Aura 1808). I think they are going to use the 18LW1400 in the new Bassmaxx B3.

As I said before JBL 2242, Eminence Magnum 18LF and Omega 18 also have the same response curve in this horn so they could be used too.

Adrian

Re: FINISHED basshorn plans! [message #16309 is a reply to message #16304] Thu, 08 April 2004 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That looks like another excellent horn, Adrian. This one is really cooking, going down to 25Hz. And you're right, it isn't really all that large. I'd like to build one around a Magnum 18LF and give it a listen. I wish I didn't have so many things going on right now...

Re: FINISHED basshorn plans! [message #16310 is a reply to message #16309] Thu, 08 April 2004 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm going to start building the basshorn in about a month or so anyway so I'll tell you what its like. Its my turn to cut all tricky angles now :P unless I pay somebody else to do it like Mike did.

Has the midrange horn from the cabinetmaker come back yet? Any pics so far? Or are you waiting for the box around it to be finished first?

Adrian

TEASER [message #16311 is a reply to message #16310] Fri, 09 April 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm going to try to post some stuff this weekend on the π Speakers forum.

Midrange horn

Here's a little teaser. I really like it, it sounds great and it's easy to build. I've actually found some unintended additional applications that are pretty exciting to me. As you know, I planned this for use with a Delta 10 or JBL 2012 or 2123. I've drawn up a cabinet that's nice for use with many π speakers; You can use it as an add-on upgrade for existing speakers or install it right off the bat on new speaker systems. I've also drawn up plans for a cabinet that sits flush on top of a Klipschorn or Klipschorn clone.

But something occured to me when I was testing, and that was to use an Alpha 10 on this horn in a little mini-VOTT kind of cabinet of about 5 cubic feet, rear chamber port-tuned to 35Hz. Put a nice wood horn on top and make the cabinet shape so that it can be used against a wall or in a corner. That makes the horn smooooth, and the large cabinet makes bass response deep. It has a shelved response, but with corner loading, not only does the midrange horn become smoother and deeper, but bass is assisted by the boundary conditions too.

Conceptualized eight π loudspeaker

It's a pretty cool little deal that I'm planning to call an eight π speaker. I've got some more work to do, and with all the other stuff on my plate, it's going pretty slowly. But the horn itself is done and now I've just got to document everything and write it up.

A heretical tip from a heretic. [message #16312 is a reply to message #16310] Fri, 09 April 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
Leave the angled reflectors out. With a low pass at 150 Hz or lower thay aren't necessary. Makes construction a lot easier, lightens the box, lessens materials cost. The purists will wail but trust me, they aren't necessary.

Re: A heretical tip from a heretic. [message #16314 is a reply to message #16312] Fri, 09 April 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hmmm, I was thinking about the same thing. Ive heard some say they couldn't even get measured differences with and without reflectors.

I was thinking, maybe I should remove all reflectors but the bottom two? Because they keep the areas right for expo flare as in:

I think I'd rather just have them all out though, but it makes the bit in the middle a lot bigger area than surrounding bits:

But I dunno if it matters. Technically it should make my path length a bit longer I think if I remove the reflectors, so thats good (stays flat and just goes even lower according to Hornresp, all good!).

So should I forget about all the reflectors and leave them out? If you say it'll be fine I believe ya. Hornresp doesn't seem to show much change anyway with a fatter 3rd segment... It will be so much less effort to build.

Adrian

Re: TEASER [message #16322 is a reply to message #16311] Fri, 09 April 2004 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Nice horn! I thought the throat was square? The picture appears to make the walls of your horn look at little curved, although its probably my eyes playing trikes on me :P

Will the JBL 2012 or 2123 also work like the Alpha with a vented rear chamber to below 100Hz? Whats the current low limit of the Alpha 10 unit? Maybe you could even rear load the Alpha 10 to 70Hz... something like 1.25m length with 2000cm^2 mouth using only a single fold with the mouth exit at the front, underneath the midrange horn. though I'm not sure if loading both sides of the driver with different horn types is a good idea, I guess it could be OK though just like loading one side vented and the other a horn, it works although I'm just speculating.

Do current Pi Corner horns provide horn loading to 300Hz? Or are they direct radiator by then?

Re: Now I have to win those E120's [message #16326 is a reply to message #16311] Fri, 09 April 2004 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just as soon as you can explain how to build and cross this thing, I have to have it!
Saw some JBL E120's on E-Bay would be nice. Missed out on the Tent Sale 2123's.

Re: A heretical tip from a heretic. [message #16327 is a reply to message #16314] Fri, 09 April 2004 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
Based on my results with folded subs I'd forget the reflectors entirely. The second option saves a lot of work and a lot of wood and will likely sound just as good. I would drop the upper panel that leads to the mouth a bit to make the flare more uniform.

In my experience the whole concept of flat reflectors as postulated by Huygens is flawed. Reflectors are only necessary above 200 Hz or so, and then to work properly they have to be round.

Re: TEASER [message #16328 is a reply to message #16322] Fri, 09 April 2004 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
My models and tests were done with the square throat. All my prototypes had square throats. When I sent plans to Bill Martinelli to quote, he sent a sample with a round hole in the throat plate. I suppose it could be done that way for ease of cutting, but it doesn't measure as good. The biggest difference is up high, they can't be run to 1.6kHz with the round throat. I kinda like the look of the square throat anyway. But I know cutting them is difficult unless you're using a CNC machine.

The horn itself doesn't go below 150Hz, even in a corner. If not in a corner, it won't go below 250Hz. Really, as it is intended for vocal range, that's fine. I wouldn't do the vented-rear chamber with a Delta 10 or JBL 2012, and would use them with a sealed back for their intended use as a midrange horn. But the Alpha 10 is a pretty good little midwoofer, and it delivers deep bass. It occured to me that it might be suitable for something like a mini-VOTT.

So the eight π is really an unintended exploration of the retro Altec style cabinets with short front midhorns and bass-reflex bass. It's cool looking, and should work well as at its price point, being somewhere around the cost of the higher priced Thermionics. In kit form, maybe even cheaper.

Previous Topic: seriers crossovers
Next Topic: Guess what kind of speakers I built this week?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:52:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio