Home » Audio » Speaker » Subwoofer Horn
Subwoofer Horn [message #16267] Wed, 31 March 2004 17:04 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Been trying to get a 2.5 meter horn for 18" driver in a 100x90x48cm 'compact' size (for an 18).

Thats the horn dimensions... 100cm high, 90cm deep, and 48cm wide. Used a different folding pattern than what mike.e uses to get it more compact.... and can have big back chamber!

Assuming that you measure length like this:

Then length would be ~2.47m which is about 2.50m. Acoustic length line is the dotted line. I've heard you measure only on 'inside' dimension though? which is this?

Here is response:

Any comments/suggestions?!

Adrian

Re: Subwoofer Horn [message #16268 is a reply to message #16267] Wed, 31 March 2004 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's a whopper, but it looks damn good! What woofer did you model it for? There's probably a range of 'em that will work, but which one did you model, if you don't mind my asking? Could you use a 2241?

Re: Subwoofer Horn [message #16269 is a reply to message #16268] Wed, 31 March 2004 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I modelled it up for the Eighteen Sound 18LW1400. I bet there are a lot of woofers that could be direct substitutes though.... like McCauley or JBL. I'm not at home right now, when I get home I'll model up a few other drivers and see what happens. I have a feeling they will perform very similar.

Re: Subwoofer Horn [message #16270 is a reply to message #16269] Wed, 31 March 2004 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Looks great!

Re: Subwoofer Horn [message #16271 is a reply to message #16269] Thu, 01 April 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I think you'd be very pleased with a sub that goes that low. power with 50w

then use the 1kw lab gruppen on a tumult for the bottom octave.

email me the specs and il fold it my way

Other Drivers and stuff [message #16272 is a reply to message #16270] Thu, 01 April 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey Wayne

Just modelled up a few other 18" drivers on the same horn. I found that JBL 2242, Eminence Omega 18, and Eminence Magnum 18LF show the EXACT same response curve as the 18-Sound 18LW1400 response curve in my first post. I almost thought I didn't change the T/S data in Hornresp, because they model up so idential!

Great thing about all those woofers is they all have shorting rings/distortion reduced motors, except for the Omega 18. And these 18's are definitly 'top of the line'.

JBL 2241, Eminence Kilomax 18, and Magnum 18HO on the other hand didn't model up so smoothly. And strangely, the response curves all looked the same as each other, all peaking and dipping in the same positions! These woofers which arn't so good in the horn showed a curve like this, the woofers being only 0.5db or so out from each other so I'll post one graph only:

I guess its not really that bad. Considering that this is a theoritcal model only, it's bound to perform differently in a lot of rooms, though Hornresp is pretty accurate.

Getting back to the 'good' drivers (18LW1400, 2242, Omega 18, Magnum 18LF) if it is desired, then throat size can be decreased from 500cm^2 to 400cm^2 if you want to flatten response by about 1.3db more in the 30-40Hz area. Reponse curve in my first post had a 500cm^2 throat, graph below has everything the same except with 400cm^2.

It's not much different from the graph in my first post. Reason why in my first post I posted the response curve which had the bigger throat, is because I think the bigger throat will cause less distortion, which I consider of more importance than 1.3db or so flatter response, which may not even be worth it by the time you consider room modes and stuff. Although 500 isn't that much bigger than 400, so it probably wont do anything to distortion (or much). Either way, they both are good.

Anyway - I'm beginning to really like this horn... I think I'll take the plunge and try posting it on AA (hope I dont get any response from that loser Romy).

Funny thing is I was just playing with hornresp when I was bored, not doing anything in particular, just playing around with old models I had modelled up in the past. I was just randomly punching in numbers, half falling asleep at 12am midnight. Then I saw the curve looked quite nice with 2.5M! Recently I got a cool CAD program so I could fold the horn myself, so I began playing with that. I wasn't that motivated though considering previous attempts which came out just way to dorky and bulky physically, because it is after all an 18" driver. And 18's need big back chambers (85L on the above model). I thought, the physical area taken by back chamber would be a lot less if I put the driver on top, rather than somewhere in the middle of the horn (like in the horn I posted ages ago using the same driver). With the power of the CAD program I was more than tempted to try, and it worked. Thats how it all happened :p Maybe I should get bored more often, more ideas might come, haha.

Adrian

Re: Other Drivers and stuff [message #16273 is a reply to message #16272] Thu, 01 April 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Looks great! Were those eighth-space models? Really, the 2241 version isn't too bad, and it's a lot cheaper than the 2242. The Magnum series sound just like 22xx JBL's, so that's a good option too. A Magnum 18LF is not much money at all in comparison with the JBL's.

Re: Other Drivers and stuff [message #16274 is a reply to message #16273] Thu, 01 April 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yep, they were modelled in eigth space.

Theres probably other drivers from other brands too that will work, I just did the Eminence and JBL's though because a lot of people use them here.

Hornresp Inputs [message #16275 is a reply to message #16271] Thu, 01 April 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I think I'd be pretty happy with 30Hz too. Maybe I'll try putting a high pass filter at 30Hz one day on my sub and see if I notice any difference with music, but I think my room will gain so much on the low end anyway making the experiment not worthwhile. It means the basshorn will have gain on the low end too though :D

Here are the inputs:

Let me know if you can come up with a better folding scheme!

Adrian

Re: Other Drivers and stuff [message #16276 is a reply to message #16274] Thu, 01 April 2004 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Gotcha. Looks great! I'd go with the Magnum 18LF or the JBL 2242. What's the best deal for you? I assume it's 18Sound?

Previous Topic: Now _this_ is sculptural
Next Topic: My 30hz basshorn with 2226h
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 10:07:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout