Home » Audio » Speaker » The first rumblings of rebellion in Stereophile
The first rumblings of rebellion in Stereophile [message #16137] Thu, 19 February 2004 10:07 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Everyone,
Just got my March 2004 issue of Stereophile yesterday, and nearly choked on my tea! A reader said he liked his old Klipschorns and other Klipsch horns (La Scala, Cornwalls) more than other high end speakers (like B&W & Martin Logan). Gordon Holt agreed with him that vintage drivers sounded better in the midrange, and he (JGH preferred them too). And then, the editor, John Atkinson, said he is trying to get a pair of Klipschorns reviewed by Art Dudley.

First 2 pairs of singe driver speakers (cross over less) in Jan 2004, now a Klipschorn review coming up.....Jeeze!! Looks like efficiency is coming BAAACK in the mainstream hi-fi world! I see a jump in Klipsch sales ahead!
-akhilesh

Re: The first rumblings of rebellion in Stereophile [message #16138 is a reply to message #16137] Thu, 19 February 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Khorn is currently offline  Khorn
Esquire
"Bout time. I've been living with Klipschorns since 1980 and La Scalas before that. Still happy and wouldn't think of changing.

Re: The first rumblings of rebellion in Stereophile [message #16141 is a reply to message #16138] Thu, 19 February 2004 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Twenty years ago JG Holt said he liked horn loudspeakers for their midrange realism, but that he didn't know anybody else on Stereophile who agreed with him.

The real suprise is Atkinson who never met a monkey coffin he didn't like.

Think maybe he smells advertising dollars in them there hills?

Re: The first rumblings of rebellion in Stereophile [message #16142 is a reply to message #16141] Fri, 20 February 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hmm....you may be right...imagine, a whole section of audiophile eccentrics (Khorn or horn lovers in general) who don't usually read Sterophile...not to mention manufacturers who don't advertise in it.

A whole new segment to exploit! Of course, this may push Khorn lovers into the mainstream, and it may not be so cool anymore...no matter, i will still listen to my Khorns!

Oh, and also worth noting is the HUGE importance given to Peter Walker (Quad ESL) which are MOST inefficient speakers, with almost NONE to Paul Klipsch....hmmm i guess Englishmen are cooler than good ole boys from arkansas in the anglophilic walls of some stereo magazines...
-akhilesh

Re: The first rumblings of rebellion in Stereophile [message #16143 is a reply to message #16137] Fri, 20 February 2004 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The first major problom I see is finding Klipschorns for the masses to audition. Imagine, when they rush to their local Klipsch dealer, and they find no k-horn (or any other heritage line) to audition.

Dave ;^)

Im fortunate enough to live in a country with NO hifi magz.. [message #16144 is a reply to message #16142] Fri, 20 February 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
-and i enjoy the freedom of thought!

i dont want to read some one elses subjective experience ,it proves nothing..We as people cannot have the same experience,no matter what.

and if it was objective measurements it would be boring,because the graphs would all look the same,yet the equipment is supposed to sound different..

so we have to read or listen to some one else showing their experience with words that have different meanings than they do to you :P
:-)

Re: The first rumblings of rebellion in Stereophile [message #16146 is a reply to message #16143] Fri, 20 February 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You're exactly right, Dave. We have a Klipsch dealer here in Tulsa, and they still have some Klipschorns on display. But that is rare.

By the way, how have you been? We've been missing you 'round here!

I thought I heard a hurdy gurdy in a movie soundtrack recently. Check it out and tell me if you know whether it was a hurdy gurdy or not.

Re: The first rumblings of rebellion in Stereophile [message #16148 is a reply to message #16146] Fri, 20 February 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Wayne,
I haven't been quite as active on forums for a few months now. Rhematoid arthritis makes it somewhat of a bother to spend much time at a keyboard. I do see a bit of improvement since my doctor started me on a new treatment called Remicade in January, so maybe I'll get back into the swing of things again soon.
I haven't seen "Soldier" yet. I'll put it on my list of must see movies and get back with you on it.

Dave :^)

Voice Recognition Software [message #16149 is a reply to message #16148] Fri, 20 February 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sorry to hear that, Dave.

About, gosh, maybe a decade ago, I remember a lot of activity in affordable voice recognition software. IBM made a product that was originally written for the OS/2 platform, then ported to Windows. I messed around with it some and found that it actually worked pretty well. It had impressive recognition accuracy, 'specially for a hundred dollar package. Others were putting together some software solutions too, and one can only assume that what's out there now is at least as good.

Now days, IBM's ViaVoice is thirty bucks. I haven't tried that one out yet, but I'd surely be willing to give it a try. Hope it will work for you.

Re: Voice Recognition Software [message #16150 is a reply to message #16149] Fri, 20 February 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, my doctor says I'm going to get better. I'm on a treatment called Remicade. I want to give it a fair shake and keep reasonably active, so I'll continue to pound keys for now, even if I don't spend as much time at it as I used to. When I can't do much at all, then I'll look into alternitives. Gotta keep moving ya know, use it or lose it! ;^)

Dave

Previous Topic: Deal sheet from Parts Express... Goldwood 8"
Next Topic: Initial Results of BSC testing + philosophy of single driver speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 09:33:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio