Home » Audio » Speaker » bass reflex vs back loaded horn speakers
bass reflex vs back loaded horn speakers [message #15897] Thu, 18 December 2003 17:11 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Gentlemen, I have ordered a pair of Fostex speakers to build a simple bass reflex cabinet (as per suggestions from the reccemmonded speaker from Decware web site---but in the search for the never to be satisfied got to be a better something serach--I went to the fostex.com site and found there the drawings for the same drive applied to a rather complex but very interesting back loaded horn cabinet---both use the same full range driver---one is quite simple in the construction of the cabinet---the horn is a cabinet builders work of art!!!! My questions are more to the point ---what would be the differences in the pwoer needed and the sound?? I think both also can add a tweeter for a two way also----Jim

Re: Hey Jim! [message #15913 is a reply to message #15897] Fri, 19 December 2003 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm wondering which driver you chose and what ir sounds like in a vented box. BTW, I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to put all those liddle pieces together into a speaker for the horn FE103E. 21 parts become 4 sub-assemblies:
Re: bass reflex vs back loaded horn speakers [message #15918 is a reply to message #15897] Sat, 20 December 2003 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
Jim:

What's the BR (bass reflex) design recommended on the Decware site?

At the 2003 DecFest we heard the following FE208E based designs (unfortunately none of the drivers were broken in):

The prototype for Steve's latest HDT (high def tower) but I haven't seen plans, but its possibly the most complicated cabinet I've ever seen (2 passive radiators, vent, transmission line, wave lens, and crossing internal partitions). Sounded very nice.

Classic Audio's 2.5 (BR), driver had even fewer hours on it, response was not as flat with some bass boom, and side panel resonanted badly.

A relatively small standmount (BR) that Steve built, driver was even fresher, but sounded flatter/better with stiffer panels that IMO would integrate better than the others with a sub.

But I haven't seen or read mention of other FE208E based BR designs from the Decware site.

Re: bass reflex vs back loaded horn speakers [message #15919 is a reply to message #15918] Sat, 20 December 2003 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
On Decware.com I go to Tube amps---and at the bottom of the page is a tab that goes to reccemmonded speakers for Dec Zen Amps---Omega, Fostex, Parker, Moth----on the Fostex site you will get Dave Dicks site for his speakers he makes with Fostex and you can up-grade to lowther by returning your Fostex---Dave has a different take on how to use the drivers---and for me, a novice here with no build experience, I felt like it was a good point to start--easy to build boxes that "get my feet wet"---my thinking is full range driver--build 2-3 different BR boxes and listen---maybe in the mean time build a little 5 watt Class Amp (a pair to bi-amp) ang then step up to a 2-way box but bi-amp direct and then later build X-overs to see whats best ---by then I should have an idea of what sound i like and it will direct the future-----Fostex.com has some interesting boxes too Jim

Re: bass reflex vs back loaded horn speakers [message #15920 is a reply to message #15919] Sat, 20 December 2003 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
We listened to the Dicks speaker at Decfest. It had a tubby sounding bass bordering on downright boomy. I prefered almost any of the other Fostex based speakers there, including Decware's new HDT's and The Hornshoppe Horns.

Dave:^)

Re: Hey Jim! [message #15926 is a reply to message #15913] Mon, 22 December 2003 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Bill, You are a craftsman! Great looking build quality on your back loaded horns---I memory serves me the FRD I ordered is the FE206E---and a comment Dav Dicks is the only source for it as it was not listed at the fostec site---????? been reading a LOT of speaker design and have gotten to the point that i just have to BUILD --and then listen and then start all over again---and Dave said he thought this driver was tubby---I wonder what box they were in??? Jim

Re: Hey Jim! [message #15929 is a reply to message #15926] Mon, 22 December 2003 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The driver was only tubby in the David Dicks bass reflex box I heard it in. Several other types of boxes had them in and they sounded everywhere from thin to great. Only sounded tubby in the one box.

Dave

Re: bass reflex vs back loaded horn speakers [message #15930 is a reply to message #15920] Mon, 22 December 2003 22:48 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Re-reading the last few posts made me realise that the wrong speaker is being talked about that was heard at Decfest. The speaker that was in the Dicks speaker as well as the Decware speakers, and a few others was the Fostex FE206E, not the FE208E. Sorry for any confusion.

Dave

Previous Topic: Heresey upgrade for a P-trap
Next Topic: alpha Transmission Line
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:31:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers