Home » Audio » Speaker » a nice little horn..
a nice little horn.. [message #15803] Mon, 08 December 2003 21:03 Go to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hello! nice new forum!

had the wood cut,he quoted me 2weeks + before he could cut it..he took 3days,which annoyed me because i changed it so that the hole + cover is on the front flare panel ,for easy driver switching..

the wood was cut perfectly by him ,Apart from 1 angle,which is probably my fault,i cant be bothered figuring it out whos fault it was :-P il just file it down. Also File the sharp interior path corners.

The driver is an 8" i came across for 19$.normally 60$,cheap because the company doesnt sell them anymore.

Just a 40hz horn,about 143litres.its a good coffee table size-but wouldnt function in middle of room with that tiny mouth.

Its been along time coming..and i did make some slightly little errors,however it will still work.

Re: a nice little horn.. [message #15806 is a reply to message #15803] Tue, 09 December 2003 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Mike!

That horn looks like it is going to work very well. I know you've done your homework. Let us know how it works out!

Are you still doing reactive circuits in class? Or have you moved on to active stuff? Did you notice the real/imaginery impedance curve of horns when doing Hornresp models? Being a reactive system, it's interesting to see mechanical and acoustic filters acting just like electrical ones, isn't it?

Wayne
Re: a nice little horn.. [message #15827 is a reply to message #15806] Thu, 11 December 2003 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
ive ran out of screws,20 short :P ,it makes Some bass- with no glue and just screws holding it :-D

Ive finished tech for the year.We went as far as reactive circuits and then moved onto real and imaginary power etc

I did see the acoustical impedence curves.and had a discussion at Cornus horn forum about it with the quarter-wave.com guy i think.

Its nice to know that you can model mechanical filters closely,with electrical ones :-)

Cheers

The results [message #15844 is a reply to message #15827] Mon, 15 December 2003 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Complete!
SPL meter later.
lab12 woofer next.

See my site

Re: The results [message #15853 is a reply to message #15844] Mon, 15 December 2003 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Cool! Sure wish I could see and hear them!

Let us know how they sound, and if you would recommend others follow in your footsteps on this one.

With 20watts... [message #15873 is a reply to message #15853] Wed, 17 December 2003 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes i could reccomend it.However slightly more Xmax needed for the bassfiends when playing lower tones :-P

They sound very pure. you can distinctly hear the pure tones at 50hz (excursion minimum)
the distortion at 40hz,where excursion is 7mm (xmax is only 3.5mm!)
and then at 30hz and below,i can hear it in car,but its quiet.

with my new job,SPL meter very soon!

I hurt myself listening to it in car cant wait for SPL results! :P

Cheers~

Photos [message #16133 is a reply to message #15873] Wed, 18 February 2004 10:54 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Photos of Mike's cool little horn are here.

Previous Topic: Books on Horns?
Next Topic: Great discussion site !
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 03:33:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout