Home » Audio » Speaker » Crossover Cap Comparison
Crossover Cap Comparison [message #15199] Thu, 16 February 2006 15:38 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was wondering if anybody has done an evaluation of different brands of caps in their speakers' crossovers, especially the caps in the tweeter signal path. Looking at the brands I hear about most often I see a broad price range. For example, a 10uF Solen is $4.48. The same value Northcreek Zen is $9.35, a Sonicap is $17.60, an Auricap is $24.95, and a 10uF Hovland Musicap is $43.85.

My experience with cap comparisons has been limited to Solens, Northcreek Zens and Auricaps. I replaced the Solens in my Maggie 1.6's with Northcreek Zens and heard a significant reduction in treble harshness. I also tried a single Auricap (they don't recommend bypassing) and they provided greater resolution, but they sounded artificially bright in comparison to the Northcreeks. Didn't like them at all. I have also heard good things about Sonicaps from others but have not done any comparisons with them.

Has anybody else upgraded caps in a speaker crossover? What did you replace, and what differences did you hear?

Re: Crossover Cap Comparison [message #15200 is a reply to message #15199] Fri, 17 February 2006 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've been meaning to side-by-side some of the better parts too. I have swapped Solens with generics, and Black Gates with no-name electrolytics. In those cases, I could hear a difference. But I've swapped Kimber Kaps for Audyncaps and couldn't. Swapping polypropylenes with small value NP electrolytics makes a big difference, of any brand. But I'm still wnting to do a side-by-side test of the caps you've mentioned, and add Audio Note caps in for comparison too.

Re: Crossover Cap Comparison [message #15203 is a reply to message #15199] Sun, 19 February 2006 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
No experience with crossover caps, but I recently tried some coupling caps in tube amps. I also found "Auricap" little "hard" and "bright" sounding, but not too much.
If you`re looking for more "silky" and "mild" sound, but detailed and transparent (and price/dimensions are of no concern) you can try Mundorf Supreme capacitor.

Re: Crossover Cap Comparison [message #15204 is a reply to message #15203] Sun, 19 February 2006 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I am looking for "silky" and "mild", but price is an issue. I just refuse to spend more on tweeter caps than I spent on the tweeter.
I had the same experience with Auricaps - they seem to work ok as coupling caps in low power SET amps that tend to soften the highs, but in a "high end" application they sound unnaturally bright and harsh to me. I tried the in my Magnepans and they were unlistenable. So far my favorite bang-for-the-buck cap is the Northcreek Zen. It's much smoother than a Solen and isn't outrageously expensive. I replaced the Solen with a Zen in each of my EZ as Pie speakers and the change is clearly audible.

Re: Crossover Cap Comparison [message #15206 is a reply to message #15204] Mon, 20 February 2006 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say Fred; ever try them in the Pi 3's?

Northcreek Caps in Pi Speakers [message #15207 is a reply to message #15206] Tue, 21 February 2006 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
There's no doubt in my mind that upgrading the caps in the tweeter signal path is the most cost effective upgrade you can do with any speaker that uses Solens or other low cost caps. It's far more effective than upgrading cables. I went the semi-economical route in the Pi 3's: I used Solens bypassed with 1uF Harmony's in the tweeter signal path. For the .47uF L-pad resistor bypasss cap I used a Dayton film and foil cap. I'm glad you brought this up. I have been meaning to replace the Solesn in the 3 Pi's, and since I plan to take them to the GPAF I now have a deadline for doing it.

I'm using a Fountek ribbon on top of the 3 Pi's as a supertweeter, and since the only cap in that crossover is a low value (1.0uF) I could afford an Audiocap Theta film and foil, and that upgrade made a world of difference compared to the Solen I started with. (It's much cheaper to upgrade the caps in a supertweeter tweeter that crosses over at 12khz than the one for the Eminence compression driver that crosses over at 1.6khz).

Do you recall I built a pair of 1 Pi Towers recently. I already had a matched pair of 10uF Northcreek Zens, so last week I upgraded the tweeter caps, and the difference is clearly audible. That change made a significant improvement in the treble smoothness. By the way, those speakers sound remakably good for the $200 it cost to build them. I wish I had room in the truck to bring them to the GPAF - after hearing them I believe Wayne might rename them the "One Pi Buttkicker Bass Option" and start offering the tower plans as an optional enclosure for the One Pi kit:)

Re: Northcreek Caps in Pi Speakers [message #15208 is a reply to message #15207] Tue, 21 February 2006 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Nice information Fred; I see you have tried several different brands of cap. Is that due to availability or do you have a preference?
How did you mount the Fountek if I may ask; or is it sitting on top?

Fountek Ribbon With 3 Pi [message #15209 is a reply to message #15208] Tue, 21 February 2006 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Here's the link to a picture:

$$$ Cost of Upgrade to Northcreek Parts [message #15210 is a reply to message #15207] Tue, 21 February 2006 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I priced the parts needed to upgrade the tweeter crossover in the 3 Pi Theater using Northcreek parts. They don't have the exact cap values needed, so it will be necessary to "cascade" values (e.g. use a 6.0uF and a 2.0uF to get 8uF), but that's what they recommend anyway. Total cost to upgrade all the caps, including pricey $14.70 Crescendo caps for the .47uF L-pad bypass, upgrading the 25 ohm L Pad series resistor to two parallel 50 ohm Northcreeks, and rewiring everything with their TefFlex teflon insulated wire, will be $124.90 for both speakers. That may seem like a lot of money for a tweeter crossove upgrade, but the 3 Pi sound quality is up there with my Eros MKII's and Selah Audio line arrays, so I belive it's justified. I'll report on the results when the changes have been made and given time to settle in.

Re: Fountek Ribbon With 3 Pi [message #15211 is a reply to message #15209] Tue, 21 February 2006 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Nice; I see you made a nice housing for it. A little more air and definition? Nicer detail retrieval?

Previous Topic: Adding Tweeter to Full Range Driver
Next Topic: Acoustical Klein-Gordon Equation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:59:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout