Home » Audio » Speaker » Zaph Audio Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFGC
Zaph Audio Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFGC [message #15144] Thu, 29 December 2005 13:56 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
So far all the speakers I have built have fallen into two very different categories: 1) Serious speakers, like the Selah Audio XT8 line arrays and the Speakerbuilder.net Eros MKII's, which were designed and tested by experts, and which use expensive drivers and botique quality crossover parts, and 2) Fun speakers, like the FredArrays and the AnoreXiarrays, which were designed using basic programs (Win ISD, etc.), tested by ear, an use very inexpensive drivers ($4-12) and budget crossover parts.

This latest project falls somehwhere in between. Each speaker uses a single $70 Seas L18 aluminum cone woofer and a $35 27TBFGC alloy dome tweeter. The crossover parts are good (better than you would find in the typical $2K mainstream speaker) but not ridiculously expensive. For example, instead of a $50 12 Ga copper ribbon inductor I used a $19 Dayton 15 Ga air core. Instead of $20 Northcreek film caps I used $5 metallized polypropylenes. The project summary can be seen at http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17.html

The pair I built, which I completed this morning, is a floorstander instead of the stand mount speaker in the Zaph audio project pages, but the internal volume and tuning are identical to the Zaph Audio design. I simply extended the enclosure height to 36" and used the empty space below the actual enclosure space for a crossover chamber and a separate sand fillable chamber below that. Building a floorstander is more economical than building a stand mount and buying good quality speaker stands.

My hat is off to John "Zaph" Krutke for making this excellent design available to the DIY audio community. Even right out of the cooker these are very impressive. Good tight bass, very clear midrange, and all the other reviewer buzzwords apply. Total cost to build them was about $300, and I'll spend another $50 veneering them later. The nearest mainstream speaker I am aware of (uses the same woofer a very similar tweeter (but a fabric dome instead of alloy), but a different crossover design, is the $2.5K Joseph Audio RM22Si, which can be seen here http://www.josephaudio.com/product.rm22simk2.html

Come to the Lone Star Bottlehead meeting in Houston on Jan 14th and hear these for yourself. I have included a picture of the unfinished speakers playing for the first time in the link below:

Re: Zaph Audio Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFGC [message #15145 is a reply to message #15144] Fri, 30 December 2005 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rick is currently offline  rick
Baron
I'd recently happened on Zaph Audio and was impressed with what he'd built and his reasoning in general about audio in this wicked old world. What you've built and say about his designs reinforce just that. Velly nice! I really liked this design from his projects.

Re: Zaph Audio Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFGC [message #15146 is a reply to message #15144] Sun, 01 January 2006 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TXCreek is currently offline  TXCreek
Esquire
Hi Fred,

Can you point me to more information on the aforementioned Lone Star Bottlehead meeting in Houston on the 14th?

I am just getting my feet wet in the DIY space and would like to see and hear some DIY speakers in person. Austin isn't that far from Houston, so if SWMBO approves, then I would like to swing down.

Thanks, Andy.

Lone Star Bottleheads [message #15147 is a reply to message #15146] Mon, 02 January 2006 05:50 Go to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Here are two links to information about the Lone Star Bottleheads. The first is our web page which includes a map and pictures from past meetings. The second is our Yahoo group page. Joining the Yahoo group will get you emails about club activities. Hope you can make it to the meeting!

http://wardsweb.org/LSB/

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/texas_bottlehead/

Previous Topic: Why phase reversal Hornresp
Next Topic: Need help with array design
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:00:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers