Home » Audio » Speaker » White Van
White Van [message #14851] Fri, 07 January 2005 21:03 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
What are white van speakers; I hear that mentioned but cannot fathom what they are.

Re: White Van [message #14852 is a reply to message #14851] Fri, 07 January 2005 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

The rest can come in on this, but I'll take the first shot.:-)

White Van speakers are like other products sold off the
back of trucks-- like shrimp and beef that might have
Mad Cow disease. They are prob'ly unbranded or knock-offs
of dubious origin.

Re: White Van [message #14853 is a reply to message #14852] Fri, 07 January 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; but do people do this or is it some kind of metaphor?

I've got some a great deal on some left over speakers... [message #14854 is a reply to message #14853] Fri, 07 January 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The boss sent us over to pick up six pairs, but we got two extra by mistake.....

Re: I've got some a great deal on some left over speakers... [message #14855 is a reply to message #14854] Sat, 08 January 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Gee; thats a scam? Sounds like work to me, they are doing way to much work for their illgotten gains. Sounds like Darwinism at work; if anyone fell for that they would probably like the speakers.

Re: I've got some a great deal on some left over speakers... [message #14856 is a reply to message #14855] Sat, 08 January 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Actually, I bet it's very profitable.

First of all, it's all cash which really lowers the tax liability.

Secondly, I've seen raw cost numbers like $100 per pair. If you spend a couple of dollars on truck decals and brochures with phony reviews, maybe you're looking at $110 per pair, tops.

A few bucks for gas and you might sell two pairs in a day, maybe $600 per pair. That's a gross of over $300K per year for a couple of fast-talking high school drop-outs.

Not too shabby.

Re: I've got some a great deal on some left over speakers... [message #14858 is a reply to message #14856] Sat, 08 January 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sounds like you have been thinking hard about this, charlie!
kidding
-akhilesh

Re: I've got some a great deal on some left over speakers... [message #14860 is a reply to message #14858] Sat, 08 January 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
600$ apair??? Is that a real figure; if so let me e-mail you privately.

Re: White Van [message #14862 is a reply to message #14851] Sun, 09 January 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
I have a friend who was in a shopping center (or somewhere - this happened ten years or so ago, so the story is a little fuzzy) and these guys in a van got his attention. The story was something like they were supposed to pick up six, but there were twelve there, so they were selling the other six for a song. They were 12" "Acoustic Response" speakers, if I remember correctly - a takeoff of AR speakers. He bought two for $150 each.

He proudly showed them to me and tried to sell them to me at a profit. They sounded ok in his living room, but I had no need for them, as I was interested in a little higher-end speakers if I ever needed to replace mine. At the time I did not know about "White Van" scams - only last year did I first see the term, but this was a White Van scam for sure!!

He does not have room in his living room for a couple of 12" speakers, so they have sat in a box somewhere since then.

He is a very intelligent, but technically-challenged, individual. So even high IQ people can fall for the great "good deal" offered by talented White Van artists.

I have never told him about White Van scams. Maybe I should let the smart-ass (he is, too - we both are!) know that he was suckered.

Heh, heh, heh...

Re: White Van [message #14865 is a reply to message #14862] Sun, 16 January 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Dean,
AS i said in another post, the irony is that the white van specials actually probbaly have LESS of a markup & probably offer more for the dollar than many speakers sold in the audiophile world!

-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Basshorns - Pro and Con
Next Topic: System impedence
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 14:57:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers