Home » Audio » Speaker » Double-Blind test proves conclusively Fostex 103E is a horrible liddle squawker!
Double-Blind test proves conclusively Fostex 103E is a horrible liddle squawker! [message #14569] Tue, 30 March 2004 20:11 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Methodology:
Open a fresh bottle of Bombay Sapphire, get the pitcher out of the freezer, pour in the good vermouth, pour it back out again, add the Sapphire and some ice, swirl exactly 3 times and pour 8 or 9 fingers over a couple of olives into a chilled glass.
That's the double-blind drunk part.
Now we listen to Diana on the A/V ssytem with Fostex backhorns full range in front and JBL 3677's surrounds (with the original M115 woofs crossed at 1.6k) We had thought the 103's were breaking in as the sound was fuller and less harsh on top as before. So we push a few buttons and now Diana, her piano and Jeff's cymbals are playing on the 103's all by themselves. Tinny, honky-tonk thumbtacks on the hammers back alley piano. Cymbals are way too sizzly and Miss Krall, yuk!
It was the 3677's Stoopid! They were filling in the bass and rounding out the treble even with the surround material.
So I switch the 4" horrors for the surrounds and push play. DAmn! I forgot that the M115 doesn;'t like crossing at 1.6 or maybe it just isn't too good. So now I have to uncork the other pair of 2226's from the 4648 cabinet and swap into the 3677's.
Which is where I was 3 years ago, shortly after the Tent Sale.
Is this a great country, or what?
Somebody get the pitcher out of the freezer.............

Re: Double-Blind test - You, Sir.... [message #14570 is a reply to message #14569] Wed, 31 March 2004 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
are a funny bastard!

Re: Double-Blind test - You, Sir.... [message #14571 is a reply to message #14570] Wed, 31 March 2004 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
CurrentlyBill is a lot of fun, isn't he? It's making me want to have another MAF-style get together. That RMAF thing is sounding better every day. Can't do it, but I sure wish I could and all our buddies would be there just like last year's MAF. It was just almost exactly one year ago today, and I miss everyone. I'm glad we keep in touch here.

Re: Double-Blind test proves conclusively Fostex 103E is a horrible liddle squawker! [message #14584 is a reply to message #14569] Mon, 12 April 2004 11:34 Go to previous message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
"I forgot that the M115 doesn't like crossing at 1.6 or maybe it just isn't too good. So now I have to uncork the other pair of 2226's from the 4648 cabinet and swap into the 3677's."

The M115 is a curvilinear cone, does not go very low, and has a small magnet/voice coil compared to the 2226. Not in the same league, really. The 2226 will sound better in that box. I'm trying to remember what the box tuning is for the 3677, but it seems like it might be a bit high, too, in order to work with the M115; thus the 2226 will be better but the box may not be right.
MBB

Previous Topic: My 30hz basshorn with 2226h
Next Topic: LABsub Bass Horn Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 01:56:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers