Home » Audio » Source » Discman problem
Discman problem [message #14091] Sat, 13 March 2004 06:04 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Just bought a cheapy AU$35 CD discman. the CD skips even if you tap the discman only gently and it also skips from walking momentum too. I've been told that there must be no buffer in it - just wondering if there is any tricks or tweaks I could do to make it not skip?

I dont consider it a 'portable cd player' if you cant move it around without skipping!

Re: Discman problem [message #14093 is a reply to message #14091] Sat, 13 March 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That is a funny problem. Not funny to you, but funny in the sense that a portable's main strenth would be in its ability to resist skipping.

Re: Discman problem [message #14094 is a reply to message #14093] Sat, 13 March 2004 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I guess too many people these days make money selling cheap shit!

Sometimes expensive is better :7 but having more brains than money can be too :p

Get an iPod! [message #14095 is a reply to message #14091] Thu, 01 April 2004 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phil Wilson is currently offline  Phil Wilson
Chancellor
Get an iPod. It is the best darned invention in the history of portable music since 76 trombones (and significantly lighter). Seriously, it never skips, and the sound quality is stunning - I'm actually using it as my source quite a bit these days plugged directly into the Zen (I'm too lazy to get up to change discs). I was glad to see that I am not the only one who does this - apparently the guy at Wilson Audio (maybe it is a Wilson thing) did a shootout with his speakers up against a more expensive set (more expensive than $16,000???) using an iPod as the source - and the "cheap" system blew away the "reference" system.

How do you connect it to the Zen? [message #14096 is a reply to message #14095] Fri, 02 April 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Phil,
How do you connect it? Do you use the headphone out jack, or does it have specific RCA out jacks?
I'm waiting for one that has a digital out.
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: How do you connect it to the Zen? [message #14097 is a reply to message #14096] Fri, 02 April 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I've got some monster cable that goes from the headphone out jack and splits into RCA jacks. It's not exactly "high end" but I think it sounds as good as the Rega on most stuff (a little more "punch" on most material) and, again, it is super-convenient. I guess I'm too lazy to be a proper audiophile :)

Re: How do you connect it to the Zen? [message #14098 is a reply to message #14097] Fri, 02 April 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanx Phil!
Seems like disk drives are going to be the transports of the future.
I'm waiting for a cheap drive with digital outs....Till then my museatex CDD will suffice!
-akhilesh

Re: How do you connect it to the Zen? [message #14099 is a reply to message #14098] Fri, 02 April 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Speaking of hard disk storage, did you see the threads about DVR's and PVR's in the Digital Video forum?

Re: How do you connect it to the Zen? [message #14100 is a reply to message #14098] Fri, 02 April 2004 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
This may be sacrilege, but I really have never felt like the source component is that important. Probably because I have a tin ear, but I don't hear near as much difference in source components as I do in speakers (Mark's analog stuff is really the only thing I've heard that I thought was perceptibly different, and that may have had more to do with volume, newness to the hobby, wine, etc.) I have no problem listening to the iPod through the Zen - and while most of my material is 192kbps, some is lower than that. I'm sure that I'm missing micro-detail (probably stuff that my speakers can't even play) but I don't miss anything (i.e. no listening fatigue).

Re: How do you connect it to the Zen? [message #14101 is a reply to message #14099] Fri, 02 April 2004 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
will check those out, wayne!
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: new TT from Doc. B
Next Topic: cd stoplight
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 15:04:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio