Home » Audio » General » Ebay's Partiality Towards Larger Sellers
Ebay's Partiality Towards Larger Sellers [message #1169] Mon, 20 December 2004 14:02 Go to next message
thetubeguy1954 is currently offline  thetubeguy1954
Chancellor
Has anyone besides me noticed a partiality on eBay's part towards larger seller's ADs? What I'm getting at is, I've been trying to sell a pair of Stromberg-Carlson 15" coaxes on eBay. So I looked at how the larger sellers worded their ADs/Titles when selling larger coaxial speakers and I copied their basic wording. Yet both times my AD has been removed. The 1st time was for violating their COMPARISON POLICY (I said like Altec or Tannoy in my title) According to the letter I received from eBay that announced my AD was removed, you cannot make comparisons in titles! So I tried again, this time my title said "Stomberg-Carlson 15" Coaxes Altec, JBL" So I left out any comparisons to other speakers. Yet I received another letter stating my AD was removed for violationg their SEARCH MANIPULATION POLICY.

I don't think I would have minded eBay's removing my AD if they equally applied these policies. But when I responded that I don't understand why or how my AD's are removed in less than 24hrs when I see MANY, MANY other AD's by larger sellers running for days doing the same thing. They A)Ignored my email and B)Didn't remove the other ADs. I even sent them links to the ADs that violate their policies and they still won't pull them. Below is a complete copy of my email. PLEASE write and complain if you believe this is an unfair practice.... THANKS ~ Tom Scata (thetubeguy1954)
====================================================================
To Whom It May Concern,

I'm quite outraged that you've now pulled my AD to sell my Stromberg-Carlson 15" coaxial speakers for a second time. In order to sell my speakers quickly I browsed through your AD's looking for how your larger sellers worded their ADs. I fiqured I would copy what those who are suceeding do. So after reading many titles and ADs, I posted my first Stromberg-Carlson AD. Imagine my surprise when it was pulled in less that 24hrs for using the word LIKE in title and hence violating the COMPARISON policy. Then after about a month I respost my AD and removed the word LIKE from the title. Yet again in less than 24hrs it's pulled for violating the SEARCH MANIPULATION policy.

Your letter stated " Search Manipulation is any practice that results in searches on eBay returning irrelevant listings or that otherwise inhibits a user's ability to accurately locate specific items. Specifically, your listing inappropriately referenced another company's brand in the listing title. Our Search Manipulation policy prohibits the inclusion of any brand names or company logos in listings other than the specific brand name used by the company that manufactured or produced the item listed. Since your listing description does not indicate that the item listed is manufactured or licensed by the company referenced, the brand may not be included in the listing title."

Now I must protest your removing my AD because as I am only COPYING what I see done day-in and day-out on eBay. Below are all AD's presently running on eBay (on 12/19/04) in the same catagory, Vinatge Speakers, that my AD was in and removed from. Please explain why these AD's can run, while my AD is pulled for doing the very same thing?

radiolee ( 423)
Title = Very Rare Jensen 8" Alnico Driver Like Altec 755A Item number: 5738840455
Link = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5738840455&rd=1

Notice that this person has 423 feedback responses indicating a lot of activity on ebay. In addition he violates the SEARCH MANIPULATION & COMPARISON policies by using the word LIKE and mentioning Altec while selling a Jensen speaker.

ducatidesmo ( 238)
Title = AER MD3 - No Lowther Fostex Item number: 5738682871
Link = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5738682871&rd=1

Now this person has 238 feedback responses which also indicating a lot of activity on ebay. In addition he violates the SEARCH MANIPULATION & COMPARISON policies by using the word NO and mentioning Lowther and Fostex while selling an AER speaker.

ilu ( 493)
Title = Stephens Trusonic duplex speaker in Karlson cabinet Item number: 5738592512
Link = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5738592512&rd=1

This person has 493 feedback responses indicating a lot of activity on ebay. In addition he violates the SEARCH MANIPULATION & COMPARISON policies by stating in his AD "this speaker is COMPARABLE to Western Electric and SIMILAR to Altec 604B, 604E or as such." Yet he is selling a Stephens Trusonic speaker.

gplito ( 175)
Title = ALTEC ELECTROVOICE KLIPSHORN VINTAGE AMERICAN Item number: 5738590338
Link = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5738590338&rd=1

This person has 175 feedback responses but this is still a lot of activity on ebay. In addition he violates the SEARCH MANIPULATION & COMPARISON policies by mentioning Altec, Electrovoice, and Klipshorn all in the same title.

buck777music ( 54)
Title = vintage Arkay 12" speakers not Altec, Trusonic or EV Item number: 5738400282
Link = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5738400282&rd=1

This person has only 54 feedback responses. Still he is allowed to violate the SEARCH MANIPULATION & COMPARISON policies by using the words NOT Altec, Trusonic or EV, while selling a Arkay speaker.

what*modern*was ( 3787)
Title = 60's Utah 12" Coaxial Speakers Mint! altec tannoy era
Link = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5738378864&rd=1

Now this person has a whopping 3787 feedback responses indicating a lot of activity on ebay.A true power-seller. He violates the SEARCH MANIPULATION & COMPARISON policies by using the words Altec and Tannoy, when selling a Utah speaker.

eyesprize ( 968)
Title = Stephens Tru-sonic jbl altec western electric trusonic
Link = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=4511966878&rd=1

This person has 968 feedback responses indicating considerable activity on ebay. In addition he violates the SEARCH MANIPULATION & COMPARISON policies by using the words Stephens Tru-Sonic, JBL, Altec and Western Electricc while selling a Stephens speaker.

drewsappraisals ( 113)
Title = Vintage Eletro-Voice SP-15 Speakers - Like Altec
Link = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5737649577&rd=1

This person has 113 feedback responses indicating a bit of activity on ebay. In addition he violates the SEARCH MANIPULATION & COMPARISON policies by using the word LIKE and mentioning Altec while selling a ElectroVoice speaker.

I found ALL these violations by doing a quick check of the titles of AD currently running in Vinatge Speakers. I find it very suspect that you astute people who pull my AD in less that 24hrs cannot see or find such flagrant violations of your Search Manipulation and Comparison polices, when it's done by your other larger members. However when someone like me with only 14 feedback responses does the VERY SAME THING, you remove my AD.

Please know that now that I have informed you of these violations, I'll be monitoring to see if these AD's are removed or allowed to continue. I'll be saving copies of this email and all responses that pertain to it and finally I'll be contacting my attorney to see if it's lawful for eBay to apply it's stated policies in such a manner as to enable it's larger sellers an advantage in selling by overlooking violations of eBay's written policy, while hindering the sales of smaller members by enforcing these same policies. Perhaps you've overlooked these violations, which I highly doubt, but now that I've made you aware of them I expect them to be removed with the same promptness you've removed mine. I will also be mentioning and calling attention to these tactics in the Audio online forums.

Sincerely,

Tom Scata (thetubeguy1954)

Single Ended Triode Amps Group
Central Florida Audio Society

Re: Ebay's Partiality Towards Larger Sellers [message #1171 is a reply to message #1169] Mon, 20 December 2004 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Your research is very thorough. You could work for Mike Ruppert!

Anyhoo, is it within the realm of possibility that the
proof reader is acquainted with some brand designations
and not others and can't make fine distinctions?

Still sucks to be you though.

Where is the beef box? I'll contact them for you.

Re: Ebay's Partiality Towards Larger Sellers [message #1172 is a reply to message #1171] Mon, 20 December 2004 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
We all have bad E-bay stories. The volume and nature of the enterprise pretty much assures shennanigans. To be truthfull I enjoyed going through the old time Buy And Sell much better. You dealt with people like gentlemen in person and met a lot of fine people. And learned a few things. I never thought I would sound like my father but things were better back then.
E-bay is mostly hustlers and scammers now.

Re: Ebay's Partiality Towards Larger Sellers [message #1173 is a reply to message #1169] Tue, 21 December 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Tom,
Have you tried posting the speakers here in the swap section?
BTW, even though what has happened to you is definitely biased, we hsould remember that ebay is a company, and as such can discriminate against whoever it wants (except for some non-discriminatory stuff of course).
-akhilesh

Re: Ebay's Partiality Towards Larger Sellers [message #1174 is a reply to message #1172] Tue, 21 December 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
To tell the truth, I can't stand eBay and worse yet, PayPal. PayPal has this weird third-world money transfer mentality that is unfathomable these days. They also have many other policies that aren't Kosher, in my opinion. Ever ask to go into their offices and sit down and discuss a problem with one of their representatives face to face? They hide like vampires from sunlight.

I've noticed a recent change in policy that appears to be enfiorced across the board, effecting sellers of all sizes. They are approaching sellers that have auctions that mention brand names other than what is being sold and telling them to remove the other names. You'll can easily find past listings that ask the viewer to see a sellers other auctions and that mention a variety of brand names the seller has available. That is not allowed anymore.

Re: Ebay's Partiality Towards Larger Sellers [message #1183 is a reply to message #1169] Fri, 24 December 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Mate Im not suprised. eBay has been getting more and more fussy over the past year and they are so strict in what you can and cant do now.

Yet the scammers (and theres heaps) still manage to pull off thier work perfectly.... beats me!

A friend of mine got scammed AU$1080 last week for a ring that never existed from a scammer who lives in the UK and he wont see a penny of that back.

Re: Ebay's Partiality Towards Larger Sellers [message #1185 is a reply to message #1183] Fri, 24 December 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yikes! That's more evil than the Lord of the Rings ring!

Re: Ebay's Partiality Towards Larger Sellers [message #1193 is a reply to message #1172] Mon, 27 December 2004 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I agree,its much nicer to meet people face to face If you can,you can have some great conversation sometimes. Also gives people a chance to hear things first.

Problem is sometimes you live in a place distant... NZs version of ebay-Trademe,isnt too bad actually It doesnt have anywhere near the scam numbers reported.

Cheers!

Re: Ebay's doesn't like coax speakers [message #1217 is a reply to message #1169] Fri, 07 January 2005 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Craig Leerman is currently offline  Craig Leerman
Esquire
The true problem is that ebay doesn't like your coax speakers. They would rather you list woofers and tweeters in two different auctions so they can make money from 2 different listings! hehehehehe

Re: Ebay's doesn't like coax speakers [message #1218 is a reply to message #1217] Sat, 08 January 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: Southwest High End Audio Club Meeting (Houston)
Next Topic: Why?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:17:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout