Home » Audio » Source » turntable channel problems
turntable channel problems [message #12709] Sun, 08 January 2006 18:10 Go to next message
ChristineS is currently offline  ChristineS
Esquire
OK, after many months I've finally gotten some time to fix my turntable! Here's my problem: I have a Technics SL-BD22 with a audiotechnica AT91E cartridge. My turntable is hooked up to my technics amp, which has phono inputs. It's played well for 2 years, but recently the sound started sounding hollow and very faint. The pops and crackles from the turntable are, however, regular volume! I bought a new needle cartridge but no change. It's grounded OK.

However, when I removed the right RCA cable from the amp, the sound came through the left speaker at normal volume. Same happens when I unplug the left RCA cable, the sound then comes to the right speaker. Plug 'em both in and the sound is again very soft. Next step is to see if the cable is OK, but after chasing my 2-yr old around I"m too pooped tonite to look for one.
Thanks in advance for helping!

Re: turntable channel problems [message #12710 is a reply to message #12709] Sun, 08 January 2006 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Christine; I remmember your original post. I think you have a bad capacitor in the phono stage but I may not be correct. Which Technics amp do you have?

Re: turntable channel problems [message #12712 is a reply to message #12710] Mon, 09 January 2006 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I have a Technics SA-EX320 amp.
Here's the link to my post from a year ago..

http://www.audioroundtable.com/Turntable/messages/411.html

I was wondering if something went bad, since my setup worked fine for 2 years or so...

Thanks again!

Re: turntable channel problems [message #12714 is a reply to message #12712] Mon, 09 January 2006 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Christine; do you have a stereo/mono switch on the Amp? If so flip it back and forth while playing and see what happens.
Was that you that said you were moving across country at that time?

Re: turntable channel problems [message #12715 is a reply to message #12714] Mon, 09 January 2006 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
No, unfortunately no mono/stereo button, but I just went and fiddled with the RCA cables going into the turntable, and now it actually works. Why I don't know, but it almost sounds like I have a faulty connection somewhere, probably the inputs in the turntable. Sound reasonable? I think I"ll listen to some music while it's still working, 'cause I don't know when it'll go on the fritz again!

Re: turntable channel problems [message #12716 is a reply to message #12715] Mon, 09 January 2006 13:09 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats why I asked; moving electronic equipment around sometimes loosens things up a bit. Putting the RCA jacks repeatedly into the amp probably made better contact.

Previous Topic: Which one to choose?
Next Topic: Upgrading My Turntable?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:09:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout