Home » Audio » Source » Help needed with a turntable purchase
Help needed with a turntable purchase [message #12653] Mon, 28 November 2005 21:20 Go to next message
Brian C. is currently offline  Brian C.
Esquire
I'm new to this forum, so offering my apologies already if I am asking a question that has been asked and answered previously. I would like to purchase a new turntable for a friend who loves his records, but again is not an audiophile (though appreciates quality when he hears it). Can anyone offer advice on quality turntables in the $450 - $750 range? Additional advice on the advantages / disadvantages of belt versus direct drives and other features are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help needed with a turntable purchase [message #12654 is a reply to message #12653] Tue, 29 November 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
My opinion. If you listen for pleasure and not for perfection; want a good sounding, reliable turntable that can be somewhat upgraded in the future should the notion take you and works well with many of the better cartridges then I would suggest getting a Technics SL 1200 with a decent cartridge priced in the 100-150$ range. The table is about 350$ discounted and another 150$ for a cartridge is a good deal for 500$.
Pushing the 750$ limit would give you a Denon DL 103r cartridge and a step-up transformer which should put you squarely into audiophile territory.
The Technics is a Direct Drive with a decent arm that can be upgraded.
The difference you might or might not hear in a comparatively priced belt-drive would be a quieter background and a little smoother presentation depending upon which cartridge you choose and whether you can hear that difference at all with your existing electronics.
If you have very revealing electronics then the 500$ belt-drive may extract a little more music from the grooves and have a slightly more musical sound. But the difference between a belt and the Technics at this price range is really more of a trade-off in percieved sound than a real improvement.
Spending on the cartridge or maybe a decent cart and a better phono stage should be more of an improvement than going for the belt.
If you like the idea of the belt; than for 500$ new; there are Rega's and Thorens that sound nice with decent arms. Will they improve upon the DD Technics? I don't hear it but some may say they do.
Designing the whole set-up properly should provide a better return on your audio dollar. Placing the Technics on a wall shelf bolted to the wall; adjusting the arm and cartridge very carefully and choosing a good medium or high mass cartridge to begin with will do most of what the music is capable of doing. Then concenterate on a good accurately tuned phono stage and you will be very surprised at how good it all sounds.
Let us know how you make out or if you have any other questions.

Re: Help needed with a turntable purchase [message #12655 is a reply to message #12654] Tue, 29 November 2005 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
As usual, manualblock has given very good advice. If you decide to go the thorens (or other suspended vintage table) I suggest looking on the vinyl nirvana site. He sells refurbs that are thoughly gone through and they know how to ship them. very much in the price range you discuss, and avoids the ebay lottery.

Russellc

Re: Help needed with a turntable purchase [message #12656 is a reply to message #12655] Tue, 29 November 2005 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Ditto; he had a nice TD 160 Super on there a few weeks ago for under 500$ Thats one of the better suspended tables in my opinion; and in fact should equal most tables out there for 1000$ or so.
Thanks for reminding me Russell; hows the AR coming?

Re: Help needed with a turntable purchase [message #12658 is a reply to message #12656] Wed, 30 November 2005 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)

coming along fine, I've put about every mod available on it. I just received the new sub chassis, but had it cut for the Morch tonearm, so I will have to find one of these now. it was the arm that Merrill originally recommended for this application. I may just have Anthony whip up another sub chassis for the black widow, which has an SME mount.
Shortly, a new pully will be available, and I need to decide what to do for a speed controller. anyone contemplating these mods can be assured they are everything and more than i expected.

Regards,
Russellc

Re: Help needed with a turntable purchase [message #12662 is a reply to message #12653] Sat, 03 December 2005 14:34 Go to previous message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
Here is a link to a guy that rebuilds turntables. There are two very nice vintage Thorens for sale in your price range. You have to do the reading on the difference between belt and dd turntables. I would buy for myself a clean working vintage belt driven table over most new and used dd tables. The exception is the higher end Denon tables. Do more than a few searches on turntables and start reading. I own a Well Tempered Classic and two older Ariston tables in a RD-11s, and a RD-110sl. Plus I bought my Dad a fully automatic Denon dp-47F. It is not just the turntable but the proper selection of the cartridge is very important as is the preamplifier used. I own a VPI HW-17 record cleaner and a older but mint Nitty Gritty 3.5Fi. A clean record has much less surface noise and it easier on stylus and helps protect it from the build up of "furballs." Then there is the correct setting up of a turntable to consider. But it is all well worth the hassles when you hear a really good recording. Good luck! John

Previous Topic: Denon turntable dust covers
Next Topic: Turntable hum
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:48:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout