Home » Audio » Source » turntable advice?
turntable advice? [message #12483] Tue, 23 August 2005 03:27 Go to next message
password is currently offline  password
Chancellor
hi,

i originally posted this on another forum, but got no replies. hopefully someone here can help.

i should start by saying that i know almost nothing about turntables. however, i recently purchased a few semi-rare 45's and i'm very eager to listen to them.

i had originally thought of buying a rega p3, but then i remembered that i have no money. no bother though because i'm not sure i'm ready to put alot into a turntable right now anyway.

i've heard alot about collectors using fisher-price turntables to demo records. i'm not sure that a fisher-price table is what i'm looking for, but i am a bit interested in suitcase models and the like. something with everything needed already included. i'm a little reluctant to deal with preamps and speakers and whatever else (for the time being, at least).

in any case, i have a few concerns. given my interest in toy turntables, obviously my first concern is affordability. several hundred dollars may be a budget turntable for alot of people, but it's nowhere near budget for me.

my second (and most important) concern is that i find a table that doesn't destroy my records. this is the main reason that i haven't just bought something on a yardsale. i'm a bit worried that a cheaper table may not be safe.

third, if at all possible, i'd like to find a table with readily available (and affordable) replacement parts. i've been avoiding the vintage portable turntables on ebay for this reason. i'm not sure which models you can still find needles and umm... other things for.

lastly, if i've not already ruled out every turntable ever made, it'd be nice to find something with a very simple design. the simplicity of the rega p3 was one of the big selling points for me (or would have been had i not been too poor to buy it). this in't exactly a requirement - far from it, actually - but bad aesthetic is something that i'd gladly avoid if the opportunity presented itself.

so, are there any newer portable affordable models out there? are there any vintage models i should be looking for? perhaps something that doesn't physically hurt to look at? anything really...?

thanks for any advice, and sorry for the long post.

ps: sound quality is also (obviously) a bit important, but i didn't include that as i know i won't be getting audiophile quality out of such a restricted budget. my main interest is hearing my music without destroying it.

Lemme tell you sompthin [message #12485 is a reply to message #12483] Tue, 23 August 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony Clifton is currently offline  Tony Clifton
Esquire
Andy Kaufman liked his little record player diddy doin Mighty Mouse or some crap like that. I thought it was freaking pathetic, things like that give us REAL entertainers a bad name! Course it didn't do him much good now, did it? The little fuggers dead, dead, DEAD!
Re: Lemme tell you sompthin [message #12486 is a reply to message #12485] Tue, 23 August 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
hi tony.

Re: turntable advice? [message #12487 is a reply to message #12483] Tue, 23 August 2005 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dominic is currently offline  Dominic
Chancellor
Look for a heavy platter. Then you know it is good quality. Make sure you get one that can take a standard cartridge. Be sure you can remove the headpiece. Direct drive is very good. But Dual has some excellent belt drive units (505, 510). I think the best turntables were made 1980-1900. Toanarm straight or ā€œsā€ not a big deal.

Re: Lemme tell you sompthin [message #12489 is a reply to message #12486] Wed, 24 August 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So you guys all know each other? Do you do listening sessions with the Fisher Price Table?

Re: turntable advice? [message #12490 is a reply to message #12487] Wed, 24 August 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
thanks for the advice.

my only problem is that when i go out to thrift stores and pawn shops to look for something, i don't know how to tell if it can take a standard cartridge. i don't know which cartridges are considered standard. i don't even really know what the cartridge and headpiece are.

i'm 100% completely new to this, so can you please go into a bit more detail on how to look for these things? or do you know of any websites with a buying guide or something like that? i'm an idiot.

thanks again.

Re: Lemme tell you sompthin [message #12491 is a reply to message #12489] Wed, 24 August 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
>So you guys all know each other?

i've no clue who he is.

>Do you do listening sessions with the Fisher Price Table?

absolutely.

Re: turntable advice? [message #12492 is a reply to message #12490] Wed, 24 August 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dominic is currently offline  Dominic
Chancellor
gosh I think you may want to do some googling. There is a lot of information out there.

try some of these searches

turntable
record player
antiskating
LP turntable
tone arm
magnetic cartridge.

I have two turntables right now, a Sony ps-454 and a Dual 510. they are both excellent.

Re: Lemme tell you sompthin [message #12493 is a reply to message #12491] Wed, 24 August 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
What force do you track at?

Re: Lemme tell you sompthin [message #12495 is a reply to message #12493] Wed, 24 August 2005 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
1.4 grams... or something.

right, tony?

Previous Topic: turntable advice? (again)
Next Topic: Onix XCD-88
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:09:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout