Home » Audio » Source » Wire Recorders
Wire Recorders [message #87245] Sat, 17 February 2018 23:42 Go to next message
monster is currently offline  monster
Chancellor
After reading the description for this forum, "From wire recorders to vinyl to digital," I had to pause. I've never heard of a wire recorder before. Google returns a lot of results with the word "obsolete." Does anyone still use a wire recorder? Does anyone even own one?
Re: Wire Recorders [message #87248 is a reply to message #87245] Sun, 18 February 2018 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Obsolete for sure. As I recall they were used before mag tape and used with telegraph gear initially. Dictaphone used the technology for a while. I don't believe anyone uses them now except as a demo.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Wire Recorders [message #87389 is a reply to message #87245] Wed, 07 March 2018 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
E-Bay has one for sale that is advertised as "rare". $400.00. I thought they all were all rare to be honest. They showed a picture of the backside of it with the power cord. It doesn't have a ground prong. Cut into it and you'll probably find the cloth they used to use to insulate the wiring. Laughing

They make a good conversation piece.
Re: Wire Recorders [message #87615 is a reply to message #87389] Thu, 29 March 2018 14:11 Go to previous message
TheRepublic is currently offline  TheRepublic
Esquire
Kingfish wrote on Wed, 07 March 2018 12:32
E-Bay has one for sale that is advertised as "rare". $400.00. I thought they all were all rare to be honest. They showed a picture of the backside of it with the power cord. It doesn't have a ground prong. Cut into it and you'll probably find the cloth they used to use to insulate the wiring. Laughing

They make a good conversation piece.

Yup, I'm pretty sure at this point they're all "rare." It would be a great conversation piece. $400 is a little steep for a conversation piece though. Is this the one that you found? It's for cheaper than you mentioned, but it might not have sold last time. I don't know how well wire recorders sell.
Previous Topic: Questions about vinyl
Next Topic: Vinyl player humming
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 20:12:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout