Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Making CDs?
Making CDs? [message #85540] Tue, 04 July 2017 09:45 Go to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
I've got some recordings of the local orchestra and wanted to put them onto CDs for a few people. Do I need special software for it to sound professional? I wasn't sure what format the music needs to be in for standard players and MP3 doesn't always sound good. Help?
Re: Making CDs? [message #85549 is a reply to message #85540] Wed, 05 July 2017 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I suggest you use the free program Audicity. You can feed the sound into your PC via the line input (make sure it is stereo) and edit, clean up, rearrange and set track separations in Audicity. Then use it to export (different from save) to a file. You can use the file in Audicity or another program (I like Nero) to burn it to CDs. If you don't have a burner drive then it is not possible to make a CD. Fortunately external burners for CD/DVD are quite cheap now and connect via a USB port.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Making CDs? [message #85556 is a reply to message #85540] Fri, 07 July 2017 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
I have Audacity, Nero and a burner, but I normally burn spoken word CDs for use in PCs. I've been told music for Hi-fi systems needs to be burned at higher quality, so I wasn't sure if I needed a different format, and there's a difference between + and - DVDRs if I used them.
Re: Making CDs? [message #85565 is a reply to message #85556] Fri, 07 July 2017 17:28 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi The best you can do on CDs is 44K/16bit. Higher resolutions will not generally play on most CD/DVD players. Audio Systems with digital to analog capability can do a lot more but you still need to know what you are able to play back. I like 96K/24bit for storing my music. I rip my LPs to that standard. It is difficult to tell from the LP and makes files that are not too huge for storage. Depending on what your original source is this would probably be a suitable resolution. The possibilities go all the way to 384K/32bit. Overkill in nearly all situations. MP3s and other compressed files go from very low resolution, but very compact to a number of lossless ones that are naturally larger. Audacity can create many of these various files and nero can burn them nicely to CDs. I like it best of the various burners I have around here. What I suggest is that you take one file and make a high quality digital copy and play with it to get the results you want. Disks are now quite cheap and if you waste a few it is no great loss.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Choosing piano type and size
Next Topic: Bagpipe amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 07:46:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers