Home » Audio » Source » Thorens TD145 question...
Thorens TD145 question... [message #11985] Fri, 11 March 2005 16:04 Go to next message
toddM is currently offline  toddM
Esquire
Hey all,

I have a Thorens TD145 that I bought at a flea market a while back for $20. It produced no sound.

So, I had it serviced by a local electronics shop that was working on a pair of highly modified Dynaco Mark III monoblocks I've got, and I think all he did was replace the cartridge. He put a Shure on it, which was what was on it when I bought it.

Anyway, I took all the goods home when they were ready and hooked everything up to my unmodified Dynaco PAS 1 preamp. I could now hear the playback thru fullrangers, but it was surely not very loud - especially as compared to the same music spun thru the cd player. (I'd wanted to compare cd to vinyl and was playing the same artist/song) Also, my speakers were moving in and out alarmingly - like some subsonic signal were severely testing their xmax. Not good for my low Qts full rangers.

So, I guess my question is... would the poor performance be due to setup of the turntable, the wrong cartridge match to my Dynaco Preamp's phono stage, a bad phono stage, or all of the above?

Thanks,
toddM

Re: Thorens TD145 question... [message #11986 is a reply to message #11985] Fri, 11 March 2005 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You have bad coupling caps in the phono stage. Providing the line level section is working fine that is most likely it. There is not much to the table, if it spins and the cartridge is new and mounted properly and is a high output such as your shure then you can assume the phono stage is the problem. The low level oscillation is usually caps. How good are you with a soldering iron?
Also, go on the Dynaco Doctor website and they will help with the pre-amp.
Don't give up; that is a nice set-up. The arm on the 145, the TP 65 is the weak spot but is serviceable until you can up-grade.

Re: Thorens TD145 question... [message #11987 is a reply to message #11986] Mon, 14 March 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toddM is currently offline  toddM
Esquire
Thanks for your reply. I'd hoped that the issue was somewhere in the phono stage. I'm okay with a soldering iron, but I've been on the fence as to whether or not to upgrade the Dynaco or to buy a new kit.

As for upgrading the tonearm on the TD145, any suggestions that won't break the bank?

Re: Thorens TD145 question... [message #11988 is a reply to message #11987] Mon, 14 March 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Because of the split wand I would suggest taking plumbers tape and taping the threads on the wand then tightening it back up a little tighter than hand tight. Thats about what you can do. Understand, the arm will function and not hurt your albums but it is the weak spot. To change arms is difficult on that table due to the automatic shutoff. Unless you are a collector or want much better sound from your vinyl, I would just try the tape and set-up the arm/cart very carefully and you should be happy.
The Dyna does need some simple mods to perform well but after doing them you will have a nice musical pre-amp phono stage.
Cut out the tone controls and balance control. Replace the diodes in the power supply with ultra-fast units and possibly the supply capacitors and it sounds damn good. There are lots of other mods to explore depending on how far you want to go.

correct dc voltage for Thorens TD147 [message #12079 is a reply to message #11988] Fri, 15 April 2005 00:19 Go to previous message
pinloong is currently offline  pinloong
Esquire
Bought a Thorens TD147 which came with a dc adaptor for 9v. For the fact that it is not original equipment, I am in fear of damaging the motor if the dc voltage was not suitable. Would be very appreciative if someone could supply the information as I could then actually start using the turntable. Thanking you in advance.

Previous Topic: Walker Valid Points and New Plastic barrier for turntable Pics.
Next Topic: Empire 598 II -- No Nonsense Cartridge?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:46:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio