Home » Audio » Source » Delrin arm board for AR turntable
Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11771] Sat, 11 December 2004 16:02 Go to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
In some of the posts below I refered to some of the old AR "merrill mods" that are being redone by Anthony Scillia. The Arm board he made for me arrived today. I had it made to fit a mint Infinity black widow tone arm I aquired some years ago, and now decided to mount it to my AR turntable. After sending him my tonearm mounting plate and measurements he made a very nice armboard of delrin with my plate mounted right on it. This is an SME type slide mount and I didn't know if it could be done given the small armboard. The arm fit just fine and the arm is finally on the table. I don't know if its the board or the arm, but the combo made my cartridge sound MUCH better. I intend on getting his other AR mods as the become available and post on them later. So far, so good. I have no affiliation with all this, but missed the boat on all these mods back when Merrill audio offered them. I still have my AR table so I'm happy about a second shot.

Russellc

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11772 is a reply to message #11771] Sat, 11 December 2004 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
How do feel his prices are?

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11773 is a reply to message #11772] Sat, 11 December 2004 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Seems fair to me. Armboard was 50.00, and it is a nice big chunk of delrin, with quality machining & fine finish. The other prices are about the same as the original Merrill mods. Plus, my arm was for a SME mount. Opening fit with extremely close tolerances. Price also included all new hardware with locknuts. while the old outdated black widow may have also had a hand in it, I can not believe how much better my cartridge sounds when compared to when it was on the old arm and board. I hope he redoes the subplatter merrill used to make, I had a chance to buy the last one in stock at Merrill back in the day, and passed on it. I have been kicking myself HARD ever since. I have been considering a BIX, but think I'll hang onto this AR for a while. If you ever heard an ES-1 with ALL the merrill mods, you know what I mean.
MUCH better than many believe.

Russellc

Russellc

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11774 is a reply to message #11773] Sun, 12 December 2004 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I think that system has great rep. Which cartridge are yo using with the Widow?

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11775 is a reply to message #11774] Sun, 12 December 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Right now, I have the ortofon OM 30 on there. I went to the Jacks music site, (where the shure V15 whatever the latest version is has been available for 199.99) but their site showed SOLD OUT, with a note that shure was discontinuing that cartridge as well as the stylus! Oh well, I thought that was the direction I was going. For now, I can't get over how much better this cart sounds with this arm/board combo. I like the look of the arm and figured it wouldn't sound any worse than the stock one... turned out to best the old combo by a considerable margin. A nice surprise! The funny thing is, back in the day (circa 1975-6) I can remeber seeing the black widow in my local dealers shop and thinking how exotic it looked, but cost more than my whole analog rig at the time, about 250.00 Now I want to find something nice cart wise, surprisingly this arm seems be able to handle nicer than I anticipated. Over the years I have had people suggest I might be surprised by its performance. I should have done this long ago, but until recently had no board to fit its SME style mount. The same place we were discussing having good prices on rega also has some good prices on the goldring 1042, as well as their high output moving coil "Eorica" or something like that. I just want to make sure that I am making a substantial step up than what I already have. Clear audio has a couple, one about 200 one about 400, maybe I'll look to see if the OC9 is compatible? I believe I'll need a setup transformer for it.

The search is on,
Russellc

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11776 is a reply to message #11775] Sun, 12 December 2004 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Have you checked Advance? They have good Denon Prices for the 301.

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11778 is a reply to message #11776] Mon, 13 December 2004 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
No, Iam not familiar with Advance. I google searched it, but no result, unless you mean Advance_audio.com, but they are in Japan?

Russellc

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11780 is a reply to message #11778] Tue, 14 December 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes that is the place. They are the only place on the net I can find that sells that line of Denon; the 103/301/601 and the Denon step-up. They also have the Audio Technika ML 150 which I think is the better sounding of the MM carts.

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11783 is a reply to message #11780] Tue, 14 December 2004 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Have you ever ordered anything from them? What was shipping like?
russellc

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11786 is a reply to message #11783] Wed, 15 December 2004 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Actually no; I have only anecdotal evidence but a friend recieved his DL 103 from them. It took 6 weeks but arrived healthy. I will be ordering a new 103 from them within the next few months. I removed mine from the arm to clean the pin-outs and guess what? Ripped the needle right out of the cart. Fingers like sausages.

Previous Topic: Best Vinyl Disc Cleaning Method
Next Topic: Update on Tascam unit in the previous post.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:57:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio