Home » xyzzy » Tower » I'm Beginning to Hate Tires
I'm Beginning to Hate Tires [message #80610] Wed, 01 October 2014 21:46 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone. This is my rant for the month

I have spent enough time at Discount Tire this past week to earn a pay check.

I ordered tires for the Subaru Forester about two weeks ago. Got a call they were in and had them put on. Supposed to be Goodyear Assurance Touring Comfort Treads. After a day or so concluded they were not smooth riding and quiet. Pretty bad in both areas really. Took a close look at them.....they were not the Touring Comfort Treads, just the standard Assurance Touring ones.

Went to DT and pointed out the problem.....oops no one checked to see if the tires that came in were the right ones, they just put them on. Duh, ever hear about quality control? A new set of tires were ordered.

They came in, went there and had them put on. Next day on a smooth road noticed vibration. Reviewers said it was often because they were installed with the outside tread on the inside. Yup...two were wrong.

Went to DT they changed them. Quality control again dudes?

Drove to Tucson....not smooth (were quiet though), very rough on bad roads and had a vibration at 75.
Worse...a tire sensor went off three times.

Went back to DT today. Yes one tire was out of balance (how does that occur with only 200 miles QC duh) another was slightly out of round and they couldn't find the bad sensor. They were going to order a replacement tire. Until I suggested that the lady in the old DT commercials that put one through their window was probably justified. At that point they decided that an even swap for some Yokohamas might be a good idea (same size and price). So it now has some of the 580s on it. They checked all the sensors again and all checked out OK. Me, I would have replaced all 4 just to be sure I would not have any more problems. They even checked them on the vehicle while I watched and all read correctly. We shall see. To my thinking a bad sensor is worse than no sensor. The ride is now smoother and much like the original tires. For sure the Goodyears had better road centering and were quieter, but road like truck tires. The reviews on the 580s were as expected a mixed bag. There are many Subaru users and they all thought highly of the tire. Some other odd vehicles did not rate them as good....mostly noise issues.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: I'm Beginning to Hate Tires [message #80614 is a reply to message #80610] Thu, 02 October 2014 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audiophile88 is currently offline  audiophile88
Baron
Wow. I think that takes the cake for tire problems! I would be absolutely disgusted at having to return that many times; I'd be thinking no one up there knows their head from a hole in the ground!
Re: I'm Beginning to Hate Tires [message #80618 is a reply to message #80614] Thu, 02 October 2014 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Generally that would be my response.....but having business with this particular shop for about 25 years I'll give them a pass. Always before things were fine especially since collectively we send 7 different vehicles there. I suppose everyone is entitled to have a screw up....but they out did themselves this time. The only positive thing so far is that the tires were the same price and exchanged evenly...and I just got a rebate on the Yokos for $60 because they were "bought" after the first of October. It turns out that my oldest daughter who also has a Subaru has the same tires and no problems with them. There is hope.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: I'm Beginning to Hate Tires [message #80620 is a reply to message #80610] Fri, 03 October 2014 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
With that $60 rebate, it sounds like there might be a little bit of a silver lining in all of that. I can't imagine having to go through all of that first, though. I know it's probably not fair but I have very little patience for repeat screw-ups. Good on you for giving them a pass and being understanding.
Re: I'm Beginning to Hate Tires [message #80635 is a reply to message #80610] Mon, 06 October 2014 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wow. Shocked I guess 25 years of good service outdoes bad service, but that is really bad. I'd be livid if I were you. At least you got a rebate.
Re: I'm Beginning to Hate Tires [message #80652 is a reply to message #80635] Mon, 06 October 2014 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes my first reaction was to raise cain. But over a long period of years I finally got it through my thick head that doing that felt good, but seldom got accomplished what I wanted efficiently. Now I try to be pleasant and generally stuff gets fixed better.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: I'm Beginning to Hate Tires [message #80664 is a reply to message #80652] Wed, 08 October 2014 08:04 Go to previous message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
gofar99 wrote on Mon, 06 October 2014 17:49
Hi, Yes my first reaction was to raise cain. But over a long period of years I finally got it through my thick head that doing that felt good, but seldom got accomplished what I wanted efficiently. Now I try to be pleasant and generally stuff gets fixed better.

You know, that's very true, but it can definitely be hard to live by sometimes. Suppressing the anger is not always easy even if it is more effective.
Previous Topic: Kobane
Next Topic: TV Tricked Me
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:03:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout