Home » Audio » General » Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting [message #78287] Tue, 05 November 2013 06:11 Go to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
Are you pretty good at troubleshooting audio issues? I'm not as good as I'd like, since sometimes I forget really obvious steps, like checking to make sure connections are secure.
Re: Troubleshooting [message #78314 is a reply to message #78287] Fri, 08 November 2013 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I am okay at it, although I've been guilty of skipping obvious steps myself. I do best when I begin with restarting devices, checking cables, and then mentally tracing the signal flow.
Re: Troubleshooting [message #78322 is a reply to message #78314] Fri, 08 November 2013 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I believe that pretty much everyone misses things on occasion. I know that I do and I ought not as I handle all the support / trouble shooting (fortunately nearly nonexistent)for the company (Oddwatt Audio). Still on occasion I will overlook something and have to back track to check it. I have sort of a plan for trouble shooting that usually works.

Check for power first (fuse)
Check for high voltage (our products are mostly tube designs)
Check for low voltages.
Scope the output
Feed in a signal and scope the output again
With signal generator and scope start to walk through the piece of equipment (check each stage and find out where it is going bad)
Check components in stage that miss behaves.
If it has a motor, verify that it turns by hand (power off) and then with power on turns like it should.
Check lubricated parts - too gummy, too well lubricated , wrong lubricant.

If all the above is negative and it still doesn't work - call someone else as I don't want to fool with it any longer Laughing

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Troubleshooting [message #78344 is a reply to message #78287] Tue, 12 November 2013 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
Bruce, I like your method. It's much more thorough than my haphazard "Well let's see if this works" plan of attack. I will refer back to this post the next time I need to troubleshoot.
Re: Troubleshooting [message #78355 is a reply to message #78344] Tue, 12 November 2013 21:43 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It works most of the time. Also minimizes sparks, arcs and smoke. Smile

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Help with digital turntable software
Next Topic: Sound Travels in Country
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:06:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects